Best answer

RSS fields from 2 RSS feeds into same Google Sheet Row

Hi all,

I have two different RSS feeds that each provide unique information that I want on the same row of a Google Sheet. Both are pulling information from Reddit. 

Feed 1 (default Reddit RSS):

• publish date
  • original poster
  • subreddit
  • link to Reddit post
  • post title

Feed 2 has lots of information, but I am trying to pull exclusively the article URL that the Reddit post links to. 

I want both RSS outputs to be on the same row in a Google Sheet so that I have all the fields from Feed 1 and Feed 2 in the same row. However, if I make two separate zaps and use the Create Spreadsheet Row step, the article URL and the other information will be on separate rows, which is not ideal. When I try to use the “Lookup Spreadsheet Row in Google Sheets” step and “Update Spreadsheet Row in Google Sheets” step together, I don’t know how to make the “Update” step actually paste in the URL I want. 

How can I ensure that both RSS outputs land on the same row? 

Thanks in advance.

icon

Best answer by GetUWired 7 July 2021, 23:13

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @ProjectBeek 

You’ll need to use a common data point across to the 2 RSS feeds in order to leverage the GSheets Lookup Row search step, followed by a GSheets Update Row step.

Hi @ProjectBeek 

You’ll need to use a common data point across to the 2 RSS feeds in order to leverage the GSheets Lookup Row search step, followed by a GSheets Update Row step.

What do you mean? I’ve tried making the Lookup step look for a column that’s functionally identical to an existing column, and I get this error:

“We had trouble getting a matching spreadsheet row. :-(Error details:
Nothing could be found for the search.”

I have resolved the issue with the Lookup step, but now I am getting the following error when trying to run the Update step:

“There was an error writing to your Google sheet. Unable to parse range:”

The seems to be defined as [name of Google sheet] [data from cell that’s being used for lookup step]

How do I let Zapier parse the range correctly? (Permissions are correct, I have no protected ranges, and I haven’t changed the name of the sheet, so the options Zapier provides are not relevant.)

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @ProjectBeek 

Can you share how you have your Zap step set up? 

you should be passing the row number found in the lookup step for the row. There are some help docs here: https://zapier.com/help/doc/finding-and-updating-rows-in-google-sheets 

See attached.

Hi @ProjectBeek 

Can you share how you have your Zap step set up? 

you should be passing the row number found in the lookup step for the row. There are some help docs here: https://zapier.com/help/doc/finding-and-updating-rows-in-google-sheets 

That did the trick, thank you! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Excellent to hear!