Best answer

Rename email attachment

• 1 October 2020
  • 6 replies

I have got Zapier to fetch new email attachments, and save them automatically to Dropbox. I would like to be able to rename the files before saving using variables such as current date, time, and sender. Is this possible?

icon

Best answer by BowTieBots 1 October 2020, 18:02

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

@MakePerceive You can put your own name in the “Specify File Name” field.  This should overwrite the attachment’s name.

Thanks for your reply. What I’m looking for is for Zapier to dynamically change the text information here so that it can automatically include variables such as current date, or a specific text variable such as vendor name based on who the email is from. I don’t want it to input the same custom text each time

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

@MakePerceive You have 2 options to make dynamic changes:

1. Use a couple Formatter steps to create a new file name based on the variables in the email and attachment:
    • Utilities → Look Up Table to provide vendor name based on email
    • Numbers → for math operations
    • Date / Time → To get today’s date in a desired format
  2. If you know how to write Python or Javascript you can use a code step to perform the desired logic and output a new file name that you can use

Zap would be:

Email Trigger → Formatter Steps or Code Step → Dropbox file upload

Excellent - it sounds like Formatter is just what I’m looking for. Thank you!

I am trying to do the same thing, I need email attachments pulled and saved in Dropbox but I need it to save each with a title that changes dynamically. I have tried using the formatting tool but cannot make it work. I’m very confused and see no dynamic options only the static field. Wondering if there are any steps I’m missing?

Hello, i have the same problem. I want to upload email attachment to lexoffice. I need to replace the space in the attachment file name. 

how should i exactly setup formatter?

thanks!