Question

Query Regarding Zapier OpenAI Integration and OpenAI API Data Usage Policies

• 26 May 2023
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 1

Hello Zapier Community,

I am currently using Zapier's OpenAI integration for my project and have some queries regarding data security and privacy.

As per OpenAI's data usage policies, "OpenAI will not use data submitted by customers via our API to train or improve our models, unless you explicitly decide to share your data with us for this purpose. You can opt-in to share data." I wanted to understand if the same policy applies when using the Zapier OpenAI integration.

My specific questions are:

1. Does the data passed through Zapier to OpenAI for processing adhere to OpenAI's data usage policies? In other words, is the data used only for the immediate request and not utilized for improving OpenAI models, unless I explicitly opt-in to share it?

2. I want to make sure that the "opt-in to share data" option is deactivated by default in the Zapier OpenAI integration. Is this the case? If it is not deactivated, could you guide me on how to ensure it's deactivated?

I highly value data privacy and want to ensure the data shared via Zapier to OpenAI is used solely for processing the requests, and not for training or improving OpenAI's models without my explicit permission.

Looking forward to your responses and any additional information regarding this topic. Thanks for your time and support!

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

2 replies

Hi, @tnj. I’m Hoon Park, a product manager at Zapier who works on our OpenAI integration. Thanks for your questions! I’d like to answer them directly:

1. “Does the data passed through Zapier to OpenAI for processing adhere to OpenAI's data usage policies?”
    1. Yes, and we’ve added an explanatory note to this effect on the OpenAI and ChatGPT integrations.
  2. “I want to make sure that the "opt-in to share data" option is deactivated by default in the Zapier OpenAI integration. Is this the case?”
    1. Zapier’s OpenAI and ChatGPT integrations connect via your OpenAI API key, so the appropriate opt-out would be located in your OpenAI settings. There isn’t a separate integration-side setting. We also understand that OpenAI/ChatGPT API connections (such as our integrations) are defaulted out of training/improving OpenAI’s models by default now (though users can choose to opt in manually).

I hope that addresses your questions. If you have any questions on the above or anything else, please don't hesitate to let us know. Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @tnj 

Good question.

You should get official word from Zapier.

But since the OpenAI account connected to Zapier is your OpenAI account, then it seems as though the data passed thru the Zap to OpenAI should adhere to your data policy settings in your OpenAI account.