Best answer

Notion New Item in Database trigger doesn't include content of the page

Userlevel 3

Let’s say I want to write my tweets in a notion database and publish them to twitter automatically.

If I write the text of my tweet inside my notion page content, there is no way to retrieve it in zapier. I have an 1. Object Page as show in @Danvers screenshot, in this post but I’ve not the text content of that page which is what I need.

In the end the only thing that can be accessed are the database properties and not the page content, so I ended up creating a property called “text” and then added my tweet text in it, but it’s not really beautiful.

It would be cool to have the possibility to access the text that is inside a page and not having to add a property.  

icon

Best answer by Danvers 18 May 2022, 11:36

View original

79 replies

Userlevel 1

@Ryan.Detzel assuming it’s possible to GET page content from database items… and considering this use case detailed by OP…

i would further assume that you’d want to limit that to type=rich_text to start. meaning, zapier wouldn’t pull in any of these types:

- checkbox
- created_by
- created_time
- date
- email
- files
- formula
- last_edited_by
- last_edited_time
- multi_select
- number
- people
- phone_number
- relation
- rollup
- select
- status
- title
- url
- unique_id
- verification

at that point, yes just convert it to markdown in the zapier interface.

Just converted to Markdown would be a great start.  this will allow me to populate my github issues straight from notion pages.

Userlevel 1

Hey all, part of the challenge with this is “content” is kind of different within Notion. This post I’m typing in the reply box is just text but I can also make it bold and red which gives the content various properties. Notion does this too but it’s even more complex. Every paragraph in Notion is a “block” and each block has a type. If it’s just text, it might be a paragraph block but if it’s a list, or a quote, or an image, it’s a different type of block. You can see all the block types here: https://developers.notion.com/reference/block.

So, what I’m getting at is getting the content is a little more difficult than just pulling the text off the page. How should the text be represented in Zapier? Should it be similar to Notion and be blocks? Should it be converted to Markdown, or maybe just plaintext? The answer probably depends on how your going to use the content further in the Zap. I would love to get your thoughts on this, how would you use this content and what format would you want this content in?

Userlevel 1

thanks @SamB i’m giving the API Request a shot today and will send a help ticket if I can’t figure it out, which is not only possible - it’s likely! 🙃

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi @ktron, @Aran Khanna, @SethG, @zntl, @BeeAd and @m_ocra 👋

I’ve just checked on that bug report and there’s still no updates on this unfortunately. I’ve added you all to the bug report so we’ll definitely be in touch via email as soon as it’s been resolved.

Thanks for everyone’s continued patience here. I really wish I could give a some sort of rough estimate as to when you can expect a resolution to be in place.

In the meantime, there’s now an API Request (Beta) action for Notion which may work better than the Webhooks action suggested previously. You’d still need to reference Notion’s API documentation when setting up the request but the authentication part would be automatically handled by the Zap. If that’s something you’d be interested exploring you can learn more about how to use API Request actions here: Set up an API request action

Do let me know if you run into any trouble setting up that API Request action. I’m happy to help further if you get stuck at all! 

Userlevel 1

please add me to this list

+1 we need this!!!

+1 here and I think a lot more people are waiting for this feature. It’s an essential for Notion + Zapier.
Like said before: it’s like you want to send an email but can’t but text in it. 

+1 for me on this… sheesh this is an important one.

Wow this is absurd people have been asking for this for over a year and its still not available. Did anyone have any luck with creating a new action via webhooks? https://developers.notion.com/reference/retrieve-a-database

@Danvers I’m also very interested in this feature. Thanks! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

So sorry about us missing your replies here previously, @rafacano, @Martin Blaha and @es1234!

There isn’t any ETA that I can share on when this will be resolved by, but I’ve added you all to the list of folks being impacted this. That will help to increase it’s priority although I can’t guarantee any sort of timeframe on that, and will ensure that you all receive an email notification from us once the issue has been sorted.

In terms of a workaround I’m thinking that it may be possible to use a webhook by Zapier action to search for the database item access the missing content that way. It seems like Notion’s Retrieve a database API endpoint might be the one to reference for that: https://developers.notion.com/reference/retrieve-a-database

That said, I’ve not tested it myself so if anyone is able to get that working as hoped please do let us know! 🤞

Could you also please add me too? Looking forward for this game-changing feature. Thanks.

Userlevel 1

What a pitty this hasn’t been implemented yet.

Would you please add my vote for this feature?

Besides that: did anyone manage to implement a workaround for this?

Hello!

I’m also interested in this feature. Without anyone taking it as an expectation, is there any timeline that may be shared?

Thank you!

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

Hi @TNFSP 

I’ve added your vote for this feature request, and we’ll  notify you via email once an update is readily available. Thanks.

hey @jammer.solijon, add me please :)

Hi, we’re using Notion to define Product requirements and ideally the content/body would be taken into the JIRA issues description.

When is this going to be available?

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

Hi @iotcat and @Thelma

I’ve added both of your vote for this feature request, and we’ll  notify you via email once an update is readily available. Thanks.

My use case: draft LinkedIn posts in Notion, and get them to publish to Buffer when ready.

But as long as we can’t access the page content, it’s a non-starter.

Is there a public roadmap for Zapier somewhere? Would love to see where this sits in the queue.

Thanks for an otherwise great product @zapier!

I’m here in November 2023 and it seems this has still not been added/fixed. This seems insanely limiting to me. Totally eliminates most useful usecases for the Notion/Zapier integration.

I really need to retrieve the page content. Add me to the list please.

Please add me to the list as well. I really need this feature

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Sorry for the delay here, @bradnoble!

Happy to confirm that you’re on the list, so you can expect to hear from us by email once it’s sorted. 🙂

Please add me to the list.