Question

Multi-step Google drive folder/file creation

• 20 April 2021
  • 5 replies

Hi Everyone,

I’m trying to streamline new hire/employee onboarding with the steps outlined below (also a screenshot) :

1. Google Form gathering Name, Email, and Position
  2. On Google Form Submit, Create an Employee folder (Folder with their name) in Google Drive
  3. Make a copy of a Google sheet (new hire checklist), Rename sheet using the new hire’s name, and place it in the employee folder (created in step 2)
  4. Next I would like to add the new hire; Name, Email, and Position into specific cells in the Sheet created in step 3.

This is bring up a question:

1. In step 4, if I want to make edits to a Sheet that was created in step 3, I need to use Google Drive to do a search for the file.  Is there a better way to do this? A more reliable way to get the file I just created?
  2. Is there a way to edit specific cells in Google Sheets?

Thank you for reading - I hope you can help!

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hey @nathanbartell,

Just checking in to see if you’d managed to get the Zap working as intended, or could you still use some help here?

Please let us know! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@nathanbartell 

yes, correct. 
Thank you! 

@GetUWired Do you mean the data returned in the “Test action” section?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @nathanbartell 

Check out this help article about how to structure GSheets to work with Zapier: https://zapier.com/help/doc/how-to-set-up-your-google-spreadsheet-to-work-with-zapier

1. In step 4, if I want to make edits to a Sheet that was created in step 3, I need to use GDrive to do a search for the file. 
    Is there a better way to do this?
    A more reliable way to get the file I just created?
    1. The GDrive file ID is provided from Step 3

1. Is there a way to edit specific cells in Google Sheets?
    1. Yes and no, will depend on the structure of the GSheet
Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@nathanbartell 

Can you send a screenshot of what is returned from step 3? I would imagine the id of the file should be returned. 

As long as the file is a google sheet, you can use the update row Google Sheet action. If the data is on multiple rows, you would need to use that action multiple times.