Question

Move certain columns from CSV file to new Google Sheet (or remove from original CSV)

• 14 January 2022
  • 1 reply

Hi there everyone!

Is there a way to move select columns from a CSV file into a Google Sheet? Alternatively, can you remove that data from the CSV file altogether using Zapier?

I saw a post here about cleaning up an Excel file and the answer was that it can’t be done: 

However, an acceptable workaround would be to somehow move the data from specific, desired columns into a new CSV file (or Google Sheet). 

So far this is what I’ve accomplished (which I’m sure is not impressive to all the Zap experts out there lol):

1. Trigger: New File in Folder in Google Drive
  1. Action: Format (Utilities) - Import CSV file
    • I’m getting output and line items
  2. This is as far as I’ve gotten. Not familiar with all the options available from here, but I’m sort of assuming it’s another “Format (Utilities)” thing. Just not sure how to do that.

Any ideas? Any help appreciated!

*Bonus I am looking to filter out line items from a specific column too, but I think that is a separate question and I’m sure there are resources out there for that*

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @magicmiles 

Is there a way to move select columns from a CSV file into a Google Sheet?

Check out this help article about using CSVs in Zaps: https://zapier.com/help/create/format/import-csv-files-into-zaps

Try using this action: GSheets Create Row(s)

NOTE: There are record limitations with each of those apps to be aware of.

Alternatively, can you remove that data from the CSV file altogether using Zapier?

Not that I’m aware of.

*Bonus I am looking to filter out line items from a specific column too, but I think that is a separate question and I’m sure there are resources out there for that*

You can try using the Looping app to handle the CSV line items, and add a Filter step.