Best answer

Mailchimp transactional newbie trying to send an email using a template with dynamic content

Userlevel 1
Badge

We are using Mailchimp Transactional (aka Mandrill) to send emails to new users of our product.  I am trying to send a follow up email 2 days later. 

• I already have a template for the follow up, that uses 1 dynamic field, {{first_name}}.
  • I have already set up the webhook and a zap that receives it and that part is working fine. 
  • I have already set up the delay to wait the 2 days using zapier’s delay app.  
  • I am now trying to complete the ‘Send Template’ action in Mailchimp Transactional.  

What I am struggling with are how to fill are 2 fields related to the dynamic content. The two fields are

Template Variables

Merge Field

Given that I only have 1 field, what do I put in these? 

icon

Best answer by Troy Tessalone 24 January 2023, 20:14

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @RunForestRun 

Good question.

In order for us to have full context, please post detailed screenshots with how your Zap steps are configured, thanks.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Sure @Troy Tessalone 

The first step:

The second step is checking that it triggering off our initial Welcome email, sent in Mailchimp transactional.  Currently the test is failing, which is fine, since it is being triggered off a test message from Mailchimp:

The 3rd step is the 2 day delay:

Finally, we get to the part where we are sending the follow up email:

• Template name is correct
  • From Name is the sender we have set up in Mandrill

From & To emails are automatically chosen; BCC is set to our Hubspot acct so that it is tracked there too. 

And the lower part of the setup is where I’m struggling: 

This is where I’m assuming I’m putting in {{firstname}}, but not sure what key or what the merge fields would be, etc.  The documentation it is pointing to is not helping me I’m afraid. 

Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@RunForestRun 

Did you review the available help articles for using Mailchimp Transactional in Zapier?

https://zapier.com/apps/mandrill/help

Check the description under each field, and make sure to click the [more] link.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Yes @Troy Tessalone  , but I don’t understand them enough to figure this one out.  The Zapier content points at https://mailchimp.com/developer/transactional/docs/templates-dynamic-content/#dynamic-content, which is written for developers, so I’m hoping the Zapier Community can help me out. Sorry.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@RunForestRun 

Can you provide screenshots with the full field descriptions so we have context?

Userlevel 1
Badge

Here we go:

I kinda figure the key|{{field}} means I need ‘firstname’ as key, and somehow get the recipient’s name from the welcome email.  But that doesn’t tell me which of the two I should use, Templates Variables or Merge Field, or why both are required.

Both descriptions’ links lead to the same page: https://help.zapier.com/hc/en-us/articles/8495922636557#how-use-mandrill-templates/

This page references this section on Dynamic content in the Mailchimp transactional support files; https://mailchimp.com/developer/transactional/docs/templates-dynamic-content/#dynamic-content

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@RunForestRun 

If you don’t know which to use, then why not try testing?

Test with Template Variables, and see if that works.

If not, test with Merge Fields, and see if that works.

You’d configure the Template Variables and Merge Fields the same.

key|{{variable}}

EXAMPLE

firstname|{{map the FIRST NAME from previous step}}

Userlevel 1
Badge

Appreciate your help @Troy Tessalone, it isn’t sending but will keep working on it, thanks.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@RunForestRun 

Best to provide updated screenshots in order for us to have context.

Userlevel 1
Badge

OK, I have Mailchimp transactional sending the email, but the first_name value is not being included in the email.  Here’s what I’ve done:

1. I have added a step to query Hubspot for the person’s name; at the moment this is hard-coded to query for my record, but of course in the ‘real’ version it will be the targeted recipient’s address.
  2. In the email generation step, I have hard-coded the send to address as my personal email, for testing purposes.
  3. In Template Variables I’ve included the hubspot record’s first name as the field value, and in Merge Fields, I’ve included the hubspot record’s last name as the field value; my thought that if one comes through I wanted to see where it came from.
  4. The result is a blank space in the email where first_name should be; other than that, it is choosing the right email template and reflecting any corrections I make to it. 
  5. Zapier seems to approve of all settings, as steps are checked green.
  6. Both fields are required -- if either Template Variables or Merge Field is blank, it will not pass.

Here are the entries in Zapier:

Here is the template’s code in Mailchimp transactional:

Here is the resulting email:

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@RunForestRun

Try removing the enclosing brackets {{ }} around the mapped variables

This is how I have it configured for a client.

Userlevel 1
Badge

That worked, and it was needed in the Merge Field.

I would still love to know why both are required for the zap to pass tests, if the other value (Template Variables) is not used. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@RunForestRun 

Both fields being required is a due to how the Zap app was developed.

Here’s how I handled with my client.