Question

Limiting Zaps

• 17 January 2021
  • 18 replies

My zap runs on a db update which tags a contact in my CRM. how do i keep the zap from running again on the same record when the zap is triggered on any update.

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

18 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @TCC Try adding a Filter step to your Zap: https://zapier.com/apps/filter/help

I have a filter so only the record i want from the db is tagged in the CRM. the problem I have is every time the table receives an update of any kind it triggers the same zap for the same record.

So i have overran my task count and most of them are duplicates.

It seems Zapier has no way of knowing if the record in my CRM has been tagged already.

thanks for the help

Userlevel 1

@TCC Can you describe your workflow more specifically? 

What CRM are you using?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

If the Tag comes thru on the trigger then that can be used in the Filter to prevent the Zap from proceeding.

Otherwise, perhaps provide screenshots of how your Zap steps are configured.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hey @TCC - How are you getting on here? 

The tag is in the CRM after the action. The conditions are set in the db to trigger the zap. the trigger is “table update”. Every time the table updates for any reason the record that meets the filter criteria is updated with the zap again in the CRM even if it was already tagged.

sorry @andywingrave I missed your post…..I am a Zapier user. am i not supposed to be on here?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@TCC Seems like you need to add another condition to the Filter to exclude records that already have the Tag.

Try the Filter operator “Does not contain”.

The tag is in the record in the CRM not the db. the db triggers the tag in the CRM. Unless I am missing something I don't se how i can set a condition/filter on the CRM, the record that the action is being taken on.

That would solve the problem. However I don’t see the ability to filter both directions.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@TCC Are you able to check the record in the CRM before proceeding in the Zap via a find/lookup/search step then couple that with another Filter step?

Otherwise, are you able to update the record in the DB once the Tag has been applied in the CRM?

I just read an email from Zapier that i had missed from last week. It appears I need to create a Google sheet to log my actions so that I can check against it before the Zap runs the next time.

does that sound right?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@TCC Yes, using a GSheet as described is one possible solution.

Yes i could check the record in the CRM first? is that possible? can i filter based on the CRM record as well as the db record? 

If so, how do i do that?

thanks,

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@TCC You can add as many filter steps as you need to the Zap.

NOTE: Unless the Capsio Cloud Database is updated to indicate the record has been updated with the CRM Tag, then you will still use Tasks getting to the step to check/filter.

Possible Zap Steps

1. Trigger: Capsio Cloud Database - Updated Record
  2. Action: CRM - Find Record
  3. Action: Filter (checks if found CRM record has already been tagged)
  4. Action: CRM - Update Record (w/ Tag)

Thanks for your help. I will give it a try

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

@TCC 
Just checking in to see if you still need help with this?