Question

How to update multiple columns in Google Sheets for new messages in Discord?

• 27 November 2021
  • 13 replies

Userlevel 1

How do I get a message in my discord to populate multiple columns in google sheets

Example Content - column 1 - APPL 12/3 calls
                               column 2 - Win
                               Column 3 - 100%

There is an example in the community I tried to follow it but I think it maybe be missing some steps. I need the newbie explanation on how to do this.

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

13 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

Hey @Lemollon have you checked out Zapier’s guide on connecting discord to google sheets? https://zapier.com/apps/discord/integrations/google-sheets

The second workflow in this list looks like it might be what you would like to do! :) Make sure you have a header row setup with column names in your google sheet so your information is mapped correctly!

Userlevel 1

There is no instructions on how to map a message to a specific column, I could be missing it. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

hmm.. maybe using something like formatter to split text is more along the lines of what you need then. I found this thread that looks like it could be a better walk through. 

Do you think this would work?

Userlevel 1

It does work I’m sure but I tried to follow the steps and I got lost something is missing in the steps.

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

Do you think you could post screen shots of how your zap is setup? 

Userlevel 1

Yes I have to re attempt but I will post it for sure, thank you 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi @Lemollon,

You will need to format the data before sending it to Google Sheets (if you haven’t already done so). This can be done in a few ways, but the most simple and straight forward way requires you to draft the discord message in a uniform/particular way so Zapier can dedect which data goes into which column (i.e., using commas “,” after each of the column data you desire in the discord message)

Steps:

1. Using the TriggerNew Message Posted to Channel in Discord” you can grab the new messaage.
  2. Using the ActionFormat by Zapier” you can covert the text to line-items (Action event “Utilities”, Transform Type “Text to Line-Item”). Now you can seperate the data you want in each column. Note: This requires that the message in discord to be drafted in a particular way so the formater can distingusish between each line-item. 
  3. Using the ActionCreate Spreadsheet Row(s) in Google Sheets” insert the line-items (1, 2 & 3) from the formater action into the particular Google Sheet Columns you desire. 
Userlevel 1

I followed your instructions and I got the same message in 3 different rows.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi @Lemollon,

In your case you would actually use Formatter -- Split Text instead. The input would still be the Content field from Discord, you would use the comma as the separator, then you’ll want to choose the option that gets you each value as its own separate field. Then for your Google Sheets step, you map each field from the Formatter step.

NOTE: this will require that your incoming content from Discord always has that same format. Otherwise, you will end up mapping the incorrect value into Google Sheets. 

Can you give that a shot to see if it works for you?

i have facing the exact same issue on y client’s WordPress site: Best Paintball Tanks

Moderator Edit: External website link removed

Userlevel 1

i have facing the exact same issue on y client’s WordPress site: Best Paintball Tanks

How did you solve this error? I am getting the same on my client’s website: Best Paintball Mask for Glasses

Userlevel 1

i have facing the exact same issue on y client’s WordPress site: Best Paintball Tanks

How did you solve this error? I am getting the same on my client’s website: Best Paintball Mask for Glasses

Any update?

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hey @johnbracket and @WilliamKeating,

I’m not seeing any error message referenced in this thread. Can you elaborate a bit on what errors you’re running into? 

If you’re able to share a screenshot of the error or issue you’re experiencing this will help folks in Community to better assist you. Please make sure to obscure any personally identifiable information from the screenshots first though.

Alternatively, it may be worth reaching out to our Support team to investigate further. They will be able to access the logs for your Zaps and can better assist with troubleshooting.