Best answer

How to Reply to Email with Gmail? (“Internal Error Occurred”)

• 23 May 2020
  • 3 replies

Hi there!

How does one properly set up an ACTION step to reply to an email in a TRIGGER step, where both apps are Gmail?

In my case example: As a user of Slack, I want my seldom-used Google Chat account to auto-reply to people in my organization who attempt to find me on GChat by autoreplying with a standard message.

In my attempt to make this work, I have set up Gmail as the TRIGGER and also as the ACTION steps.

Gmail Trigger step looks for New Emails in:chats (this appears to be successful, I see the correct data come through the Trigger step).

I select “Reply to Email” using Gmail as my ACTION step.

1. In the “Thread” field (which is required field) I use the <Thread ID> from the trigger step.
  2. In the “To” field I use the <from email@> from the trigger step.

When I run “Test” I get the error: “Internal Error Occurred”. I have checked the Gmail service and it appears to be up and running @ 250ms response time, and no other apps are in my Zap workflow. Can you help? 

Thanks,

Dave

icon

Best answer by steph.n 27 May 2020, 02:26

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

3 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Hi @Dave Prout,

Your setup looks correct so I escalated this to Zapier.  They should be able to shed more light on why you are having this error.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi there @Dave Prout - We’re so happy that you were able to speak to our Support team regarding this issue. It looks like this is a feature request, and I’m going to share the answer to anyone who is curious:

So at the moment, I'm afraid it's not possible to automate replies through Google Hangouts / Chat in this way - I'm sorry about that.

What's missing here are the appropriate triggers on the Google Hangouts Chat integration that would allow you to trigger your Zap when new messages are created: https://zapier.com/apps/google-hangouts-chat/integrations#triggers-and-actions.

I've gone ahead and created new feature requests for "New Direct Message" and "New Group Message" triggers to be added to the Google Hangouts Chat integration and also added your email as a vote. I can't give you an ETA on when these might become available (I'm sorry about that), but we'll automatically send you an email when we have an update for you.