Best answer

How to move existing tasks from Todoist to Google Sheets?

• 1 October 2019
  • 32 replies

Show first post

32 replies

Userlevel 3

@jesse, yes this is exactly what I was asking about! Thank you!☺️

Userlevel 3

I thought that I've almost done it to the solution, but stopped in an unexpected place.

When building action on "New Completed Task in Todoist" event, I need to enter the required Project field. But projects in my approach are very dynamic, now I have 54 of them, so it seems like an inconvenient way to handle new tasks this way: to create 54 zaps. Should I start a new thread for this issue or continue this one?

Userlevel 3

@Andrew_Luhhu, thank you for your reply! Hm, I'm not aware of the mapping functionality in Zapier. Could you please provide a link to some materials to read more about it?

Userlevel 3

@Andrew_Luhhu, @PaulKortman, @Danvers, thank you for the ideas. I've tried to introduce a look-up table, but seem to either get it wrong or not to be able to use it.

On the initial "When this happens..." step I need to specify what project to observe for the new incomplete tasks. And what I want here is to say that I wish this zap to get triggered on the new task in any project. But this option is not available, and I need to choose only one.

PixelSnap 2019-10-16 at 16.24.28@2x.pngThe look-up table tool from utils is only available on "Do this..." step so I can't utilize it. Did I get it right or there is something that I've missed?

Userlevel 3

Hm, I know these kinds of things, I'm a front-end developer!😁 I tried to use the ”*” symbol as done in Bash, and what's surprising, I had even received the successful test on it. Unfortunately this happened only once and saving failed on attempts to test Airtable.

I also experimented with possible predefined values like ”all”. I concatenated the ids of several projects and separated them with comma. I used multiselection in Todoist client to see how the address gets formed, but multiselection doesn't influence it.

Thank you for adding my vote, @Danvers! This feature would be great, indeed. Maybe I will still implement the trigger for several projects to try the overall solution.

Userlevel 3

Uf, it's been a while, but here I am to continue this great discussion!

@TheDavidJohnson, could you please specify, what do you mean by "Project" changes? Renaming of the project or moving the task to the other?

Maybe I haven't understood it right, but do you imply that I can use project names collected in Airtable in my zap where I want to trigger action on any new task in any project? If so, I cannot now think about how I can use this data. My options are very restricted on "When this happens..." part. Here are pictures attached to illustrate this.

157192818779573678.png1571928187795736780.png

Userlevel 3

I think now I can sum up the current state, which I can call a solution or a significant improvement at least.

My system looks the following way now.

Zapier Todoist → Airtable.png

1. Once I create a task in a project set for watching in Zapier, the webhook gets triggered. (Thank you @PaulKortman for the proposal to separate these means).
  2. Another zap settled to listen to this webhook then pastes the name of the item to a dedicated table in Airtable database (thank you @TheDavidJohnson for the proposal to use this wonderful instrument).

Now when in the morning, I need to do my usual planning where I fill the table with task, time, place, risk and risk mitigation I use the autocomplete most of the time.

Many thanks for @AndrewJDavison_Luhhu, @Danvers and @jesse for your support and ideas!😊