Best answer

How to get the featured image URL - Wordpress to Instagram

• 6 November 2020
  • 10 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi there,

I’ve set up a Zap to share new Wordpress blog posts to Facebook. This shares the link which displays on fb with the featured image, gravy.

I’d also like to share this on Instagram - however within the post data from the wordpress post there’s no image URL I can find. Just the “wp:featuredmedia href" which is: https://URL.com/wp-json/wp/v2/media/194

Can anyone help? How do I send a .jpg file image URL for the featured image from Wordpress to Zapier?

Cheers,

Ben

icon

Best answer by Johann 5 January 2021, 14:01

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

10 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Instagram is a trigger only app. This means you can only get images from there to another app.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi @TheFloristFarm, did Wemakefuture answer your question in this topic? Please let us know by marking Best answer if so. If not, let us know by replying back to this topic.

Thank you!

There is a zap for connecting WordPress posts to Instagram Business, but I for the life of me can’t figure out how to pass a featured image either. Evidently the capability is there but the documentation for pulling it off doesn’t exist which is a real bummer. When I look at the data available to be passed in the zap, a url for the featured image does not exist. You can get the featured media id number or the json media xml but not the actual url of the image. I’m beating my head against the wall looking for any documentation. If anyone has pulled this off successfully, please post the solution.

Userlevel 1

It was possible with Wordpress legacy, but that stopped working today. I can’t figure this out either. I’m trying to send an image to Buffer. Any idea?

It was possible with Wordpress legacy, but that stopped working today. I can’t figure this out either. I’m trying to send an image to Buffer. Any idea?

Wish I had better news for you. I had some back and forth with them about what gets passed in the post data for the zap. They know something is jacked up with the feed and presumably they are working on fixing it. No ETA from them. They told me I can periodically check https://zapier.com/zapbook/updates/ and see if they release a fix. Hopefully if enough people squawk about it they will make it a priority to fix it. I’ve disabled my Instagram Business zapier until they figure out the issue on their end. No sense spinning my wheels trying to fix something that clearly isn’t supported yet.

Instagram is a trigger only app. This means you can only get images from there to another app.

Supposedly Instagram Business zapier could be triggered from WordPress Post but without that featured image url it’s not possible. The zap is there but it’s a winchester mansion door that goes nowhere.

Userlevel 2

Same problem :/

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @Johann! The best thing to do here is to get in touch with the Zapier support team so they can go through your Zap with you to make sure that there’s not another way to get the image that you need. You can contact them using the Get Help form: https://zapier.com/app/get-help

Userlevel 2

I found a way to get the featured image url :

1- Wordpress App with trigger New Post In Wordpres
2- Webhook Api with Event Custom Request and Action GET on the url of (Wp:featuredmediaHref)  variable of the step1 (something like https://domain.com/wp-json/wp/v2/media/2132

3 - Instagram Business app with Event Publish Photo and use the URL of the (Guid Rendered) variable of step 

I can’t get custom field until now. I thought it’s possible to include the custom field somewhere in the page and then scrap it with a tool, but i didn’t find it.

Enjoy :)

Userlevel 1
Badge

I’m not seeing the (Wp:featuredmediaHref) variable for some reason…

It’s not showing up in the list of data I’m getting back from the new WordPress post trigger

What could that be caused by? Has anybody else experienced that as well?