Best answer

How do I send a thank you email with attachment when I receive an order?

Userlevel 1

Brand Newbie Here.

I am in direct sales.  When I receive an email from my company letting me know that I’ve had an order, I’d like to automatically send my customer a thank you with a PDF attached to it.

So far I’ve managed to get the Email Parser (Zapier) set up.  Set up so that any Order notifications that I get in Mail automatically go to the Parser.

Am I right in thinking that Email by Zapier would the way to send the thank you?  I’ve tried setting this up with the TO as ‘customeremail’ which is what I put in the parser.   When I went to test it, it said successful, check your Email by Zapier account.  But I don’t know how to get an account!!  I’m going round and round in circles here.

I don’t have a gmail account for this business, but I do have Aweber.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

icon

Best answer by Danvers 3 May 2022, 14:01

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @Alisa 

Good question.

What email app are you using to get the order notifications?

Can you use that same email account to send the thank you?

Perhaps post screenshots with how your Zap steps are configured so that we can have more context.

Userlevel 1

I’m just using my iMac Mail for it.

I thought maybe I could just use the Email by Zapier for it, but I don’t know how to get an account.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Alisa 

What email service provider does your email address belong to? (e.g. @gmail.com, @outlook.com, @yahoo.com, etc.)
Mail on iMac is an email app for interacting with email.

Userlevel 1

westnet.com - it’s an Australian one

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @Alisa! 

Let’s see if we can figure this one out together :) 

Where did you see the ‘check your Email by Zapier account’ message? I gave the Send email action a quick try to remind myself what it looks like and got this message:

Is that what you saw when you tested that step of the Zap or did you see something different?

I’ll explain how the Email by Zapier app works to give some background:

• When an email is sent to someone, it’s from an email address that looks like no-reply.oqcwfr@zapiermail.com, so it wont look like the email came from you. 
  • There isn’t an Email by Zapier inbox, you have to add a ‘Reply to’ email address when you’re setting up the Zap action. If you do that, when people reply to your email, it’ll go to that address. 
  • There’s an unsubscribe link at the bottom of every email, if one user clicks it, no more mail will be sent from that address full stop. The Zap will need to be turned off and and on again for it to work. 

As most users prefer to be able to send emails from their own address, folks generally prefer to connect their own email app to Zapier rather than using Email by Zapier. If you use an email app that connects to Zapier (eg Gmail, Outlook), you can do that directly, but as you’re using Westnet, you’ll need to use SMTP by Zapier.

Broadly speaking, SMTP is the name of a protocol, a way that the internet connects online servers to email inboxes. I Googled Westnet and it looks like it sends emails using SMTP, which means that you should be able to use the SMTP by Zapier integration to send emails from your email address via Zapier. 

If you don’t know what your SMTP settings are, this help guide from Westnet is a good starting point as it describes the recommended SMTP settings for your account. If your Westnet email address is owned by your company (eg your company has paid for Westnet and your email address looks something like ‘yourname@company.com’) then you might need to contact someone from your IT team to help you find the settings that you need. This section of our help doc explains how to set up an SMTP by Zapier action. 

I hope that helps, please hop back in to let us know if you need any other suggestions or I’d love to know if this works for you!

Userlevel 1

Thank you, I ended up setting up a gmail account.  

And it’s all worked great.

But I will check the westnet option too.

I did try to set up an automatic forward rule from Mail to the Zapier Parser, but it didn’t work. 

At least fowarding on an email is quicker than typing up a new one for each order.

Cheers

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Thanks for coming back to let us know how you got on, I’m glad that you have things up and running smoothly with Gmail 😊