Question

How do I send a email through Gmail using an email address provided in a Trello Card?

• 14 April 2022
  • 5 replies

I have many trello cards, each for a separate client. I have each client’s email address listed on their card. My goal is to have email updates sent out automatically when certain triggers are reached on each card. I found a previous post where someone asked the same thing. It was suggested they use a formatter. I don’t really understand what this means. Is there someone who can explain this for me? I would be eternally grateful! 

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @CFlanny 

Good question.

Are you storing the client’s email address in a custom field on the Trello Card?

What Zap trigger event for Trello are you trying to use?

Perhaps post screenshots for us to have more context, thanks.

I have tried creating a zap to send an email from gmail once a card is moved to a new list. I also tried creating a zap to send a calendar invite when a card is moved to a new list. 

I attempted using a custom field titled email, but I never could get it to show up in the options for the email recipient. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@CFlanny 

Is the email address data point returned from the Zap trigger step?

If yes, then you can map the value between Zap steps using the ‘custom’ mapping option.

https://zapier.com/help/create/basics/set-up-your-zap-action#set-up-your-action

The email hasn’t been returned, it hasn’t been sent. I can’t find a way to use an email address I have added to a trello card as the recipient for the zap email. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@CFlanny 

As a workaround, if there is only 1 email address in the Trello Card Description field, then you can use a Formatter > Text > Extract Email step in the Zap to get the email address.