Best answer

How do I add new event in Google Calendar when I assign a due date to an Asana subtask?

• 5 August 2022
  • 7 replies

I am looking to have Zapier trigger when I assign a DUE DATE to a subtask. When I choose the calendar date, Zapier will trigger a new event within Google Calendar. 

I do not see an option for that workflow currently in Zapier.

icon

Best answer by Danvers 12 August 2022, 17:05

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hey there, @Shazel! Thanks for reaching out!

I took a quick peek and you’re right! It looks like at the moment, the Asana app doesn’t have a trigger for date changes. 😔 At the moment this doesn’t appear doable but it might be worth opening a ticket with my friends in support! They may be able to open a new feature request for ya.

While I don’t know of a workaround, it’s possible someone in the community may be able to chime in! 🤗

Welcome to the Community!

Userlevel 1

Hi @Shazel ,

You could set up an automation within Asana to add a tag to the task/subtask when you set a due date, then use the ‘Tag Added to Task’ trigger in Zapier to create the Google Calendar event.

Does that work?

Best Regards,
Pam.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hey @Shazel! I see you’ve opened a ticket with our support team so I wanted to encourage working with them there. In the meantime, I wanted to check in to see if @silisolutionist’s was helpful for you. Let us know!

Thank you @silisolutionist , @jesse @christina.d  for your responses. The tags are a great idea, unfortunately, the tags trigger within Zapier aren’t as in depth as I would like.

The fields that are parsed aren’t helpful (only receiving ID fields - numeric)

Also, after connecting my accounts, the tags that are populated are not correct (I only have (1) tag created, and Zapier is pulling MISC tags (A,B,C) that I have not created) - When I test the triggers I do receive the calendar invite, which confirms my accounts are connected correctly in Zapier.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @Shazel!

I’ve had a think about this and I think that there’s a way to do it, but it’s a little messy; your Zap would be triggered every time there’s an update, but it would only make one event per subtask. 

I believe that the Updated Task trigger also triggers on updated subtasks, so that’s the trigger you’ll need. 

Then add a filter step to your Zap that stops the Zap if the Due date field is empty - this should save you some tasks as only updated that are made after the due date will continue. 

Next, add a Google Calendar Find Event step - this has the option to create an event if none are found. That means that the Zap will search your calendar using the search terms you give it and if there isn’t a matching event, it will create one; if there is a matching event, the Zap will just stop. 

Hi @Shazel!

I’ve had a think about this and I think that there’s a way to do it, but it’s a little messy; your Zap would be triggered every time there’s an update, but it would only make one event per subtask. 

I believe that the Updated Task trigger also triggers on updated subtasks, so that’s the trigger you’ll need. 

Then add a filter step to your Zap that stops the Zap if the Due date field is empty - this should save you some tasks as only updated that are made after the due date will continue. 

Next, add a Google Calendar Find Event step - this has the option to create an event if none are found. That means that the Zap will search your calendar using the search terms you give it and if there isn’t a matching event, it will create one; if there is a matching event, the Zap will just stop. 

Do you think that would work for you?

I appreciate your reply @Danvers  - I believe this will work, I’ve drafted the Zap. I will need to Upgrade my plan to perform multi-step Zaps. Once I do so, I will return to this thread and update.

Thanks again for your assistance!

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Awesome, thanks for letting us know. I’d love to hear how you get on once you have things set up :)