Question

How can i create a single text file with the previous 24 hours nytimes rss feeds and than create a new file every 24 hours?

Userlevel 1
Badge

i need help figuring out a potential zap flow. 

every morning i would like to get the latest 24 hours news updates from the new yorktimes.

https://rss.nytimes.com/services/xml/rss/nyt/HomePage.xml

i specifically need to create a text file for every day and/or to delete the previous day rss feed. 

i am new with zapier, i have tried to use the rss feed but it returns only the latest feed and it can only be triggered when a new feed is available. 

i tried looking how to create a group of feeds published in a given period of time but could not find the approach to do this. as i am new if you just tell me use that app without giving me an example of the settings, i predict i will have an hard time.

thus i would appreciate one example if  possible. 

ultimately i want to send the text file to amazon polly and convert it to voice and listen to it while i commute. i know how to make this work, but i am stuck on creating the last 24 hours list of feds. 

can you help ?

variation

i may like to do this 2 times a day. 

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hey, the best app to use here is the oft-forgotten, but incredibly useful “digest” app. 

https://zapier.com/apps/digest

I think you’ve described the workflow very well yourself, so in the middle, you can just add the Digest app and have this scheduled to send with your preferences.

Userlevel 1
Badge

thank you i am taking a look into it. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

i did do the integration but i have not yet received a message  at the need of the day 

question:

if i keep changing the time of the day the bot should send me he feed do i reset the feed ?

i am afraid there have not been many updates from when i set up the digest and now...

Userlevel 1
Badge

it did not work something in the settings is not working , it does not send me the summary. 

when i do not use the digest it works but it is inconvenient it sends you one email per update. 

any specific suggestion how to debug this? or any hypothesis on what could be the issue?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

The main thing to note here is that digest will keep grabbing your items until the point in time comes when you’ve scheduled them to be released. 

Can you perhaps show us how you’ve set up the digest so we can debug?

Userlevel 1
Badge

i am not familiar with digest debug, how do i share it?

Userlevel 1
Badge

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

In order to debug, you really need to wait until some things are in the digest. Once a digest is released, it’s gone forever - No getting it back, which makes it even more tricky to build as a zap. 

Try setting the release schedule frequency to 2 items, instead of Daily at 10pm. This way you can test if it’s working as things come in.

Once you’ve verified that, you can schedule it for a time of day

Userlevel 1
Badge

done i put a release digest too in between:

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I don’t think you need that :D 

It will release without that. You just need to handle the release values in your next steps

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @Paolon!

You’ll definitely need to remove the release digest step from your Zap or it will add an item then immediately release it. 

It looks like your Zap was set up OK before. When you say that you didn’t get the message when you needed it, do you mean that you didn’t get any email, or you didn’t get the email at the time you expected?

If you didn’t get an email at all, could you please take a look in your task history for the Zap - if you click on one of the tasks there, it will show you at what point the Zap got stuck. Thanks!

Userlevel 1
Badge

@Danvers  to b honest now it has been working exactly the way you see it. I recall i spent the week tuning it up. 

now i have a new question , so far it works great but it is extremely limited to one rss feed, is there any intelligent crawler integrated in zapier  plug and play that can give the title and summary of articles from medium without me coding ?