Best answer

Google Sheets - "The caller does not have permission" error

• 14 September 2021
  • 3 replies

Hi there,

I’m looking for some pointers on working with Google Sheets, let me outline the scenario..

I’m trying to update an attribute in my CRM (Sendinblue) for new contacts.​​​​​​ I’m taking these steps:

1. Trigger - new contact created in Sendinblue
  2. Get a ‘code’ from a Google Sheet row (through Get many Spreadseat Rows)
  3. Update the contact attribute ‘XYZ’ with the code from Google Sheets

This connection seems to be working, however, on the Google Sheets step I’m getting the error ‘app returned “the caller does not have permission”. So it seems to me that Zapier can read the file, but somehow cannot return the information from the Google Sheet...

My Google Drive is connected to Zapier and to be sure I’ve set my Google Sheet to Public, but I’m still receiving the error and the attribute is not updating correctly.

Do you guys have any suggestions what to do here?

icon

Best answer by SamB 15 September 2021, 12:52

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hey @Champ! :)

I believe the Create, Update, and Find/Create types of actions on the Google Sheets integration require full Editor permissions. So if the connected Google user account doesn’t have full edit permissions for the Google Sheet then that could be why you’re running into that “the caller does not have permission” error.

Can you double-check the permissions assigned for the connected user to confirm they have Editor permissions? 

Hi @Troy Tessalone, thanks for the reply! Unfortunately it was not protected, so I’m afraid that isn’t the problem..

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @Champ 

TIP: Make sure the GSheet tab is not locked with permissions (aka protected).