Best answer

Google drive finds doc successfully in one action then it's missing when I try to replace it

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi

I am trying to replace one google doc with another.

Find or create file in google drive

...finds the file successfully

• Replace file in google drive using the file’s ID then returns the error ‘The app returned "File not found”

Can anyone shed any light?!  I’m totally mystified

icon

Best answer by SamB 11 August 2021, 10:47

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

15 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

@ETBrain 

I'm going to flag this post for the Zapier Community Team. They should have more insight on this and can escalate to the support team if needed.

Sit tight, and someone will contact you soon.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @ETBrain 

Are you able to provide sceenshots of how your Zap steps are configured?

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi Troy

Sure.

Here’s the whole zap

Here’s the first ‘Find file’ 

Here’s the second..

Both of the above are successful when tested.

Here’s the ‘replace one file with the other’

and here’s the result:

Let me know if anything’s unclear

Userlevel 1
Badge

Actually, probably important:

The first file is on ‘My Drive’

The second file is on a shared drive called ‘PROJECTS’

Significant?

Userlevel 1
Badge

If that IS the issue, it’s worth saying, the only reason the files are on different drives in the first place is because I can’t get the google docs zap to see any of my shared drives, so it’s my attempted work around.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @ETBrain 

See the description underneath the field.

The File field expects a file to be uploaded, which can be a actual file object or a public URL, not the GDrive File ID.

Try searching for File (Exists but not shown) from step 2 and map that data point.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi Troy

Thanks - I think that was an error, (which I’ve now fixed - thanks) but alas it was not THE error..

Am I in the right ballpark thinking it is because the two files are on different drives (one in a shared dirve, the other in ‘My drive’ ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@ETBrain 

Yes, using different shared Drives is likely a contributing factor to the new error.

Userlevel 1
Badge

OK thanks Troy.  One more question then (if that’s ok!) 

The only reason the files (google docs) are on separate drives is because, when creating the replacement doc using the action ‘send text to google docs’, I can’t see any of my shared drives.  Any ideas why that might be? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@ETBrain 

Some snippets from help articles related to GDrive...

Admin/owner permissions: The connected account must be the owner of the files and folder that the Zaps work with

Also, you can't trigger or act upon a folder shared with you, so files added to folders you don't own will not trigger the Zap.
The connected account must be the owner.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I wondered about this.  Not sure why it only seems to apply to the google docs actions and not drive though.

Is owner the same as ‘manager’?  Because I changed my status of the shared drive in question to ‘manager’ without any joy.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@ETBrain 

Manager role permissions is below Owner role permissions.

Might be worth opening a ticket with Zapier Support so they can troubleshoot further: https://zapier.com/app/get-help

Userlevel 1
Badge

OK will do.  Appreciate your help!

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Hi

I am trying to replace one google doc with another.

Find or create file in google drive

...finds the file successfully

• Replace file in google drive using the file’s ID then returns the error ‘The app returned "File not found”

Can anyone shed any light?!  I’m totally mystified

Would like to see your zap, if you would like to connect , ping me in skype: [removed by moderator]

Personal information removed by moderator. Please remember that it is against the Community Code of Conduct to include any private or personal information in your posts. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hey @ETBrain

Just circling back here as I noticed you contacted our Support team and they added your vote to a feature request for shared drives to supported on the Google Docs integration. We don’t have an ETA on when that would be added but you will be contacted via email with any updates! :)