Best answer

How do I make my Zap only send the MS Excel file instead of a Zip folder in Gmail?

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hello, I am having an issue with a Gmail to Gmail App.

My trigger is a new email

My action is to send an email

When I receive my email it has an excel file attached to it, but when my zap triggers/sends an email it creates a Zip file that contains my report, but also some image files from the body of the email. This is an issue because my BI tool is failing/ cannot seem to find the file within the Zip folder.

Is there a way to tell Zapier to ONLY send the excel and not create the Zip folder? I have included screenshots below of my trigger/action. I blocked out a bunch of info per Zapier’s policy. Hopefully this is enough to help!

icon

Best answer by Troy Tessalone 18 August 2022, 16:04

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @ababab608 

Good question.

Use this Zap trigger: Gmail - New Attachment

You may need to add a Filter as step 2.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hey @ababab608!

Troy beat me to it 😛 I was going to recommend the same thing. When you use the New Attachment trigger you will get individual attachments :) As he mentioned, you can then add a filter step to make sure your Zap only continues when the appropriate conditions are met.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Thanks guys! I made the change, and while it is not sending a zip file anymore, the email getting sent is not the CSV attachment. It seems to be taking other elements from the email and sending those as an attachment. Is there any way to specify that I want Zapier to send the CSV? 

Thank you!!

Userlevel 2
Badge

@Troy Tessalone

@nicksimard

DId you guys see the follow up question? I am still having issues with this. The email that I am sending on the ACTION is still not finding/ attaching the reporting file. It is taking random images from the body of the email.

Any additional advice here is GREATLY appreciated. Thank you both so much!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@ababab608 

Try using a Filter step to specify only certain file types using the mime time data point.

Userlevel 2
Badge

@Troy Tessalone thanks for this. I think I am getting stuck on an easy step.

I am trying to setup my filter but I cannot seem to find MIME Type = text/csv.

Also, which step should I include in the middle of the filter? ie - Text Contains or Does not contain etc. None of the choices seem intuitive to me. Screen shot below. 

Do you have an idea of how I can tell the filter to find MIME Type, text/csv?

BTW the mime type option in the first box seems to list everything in the email, then there is not a way (that I can see) to specify the file itself.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Use this Zap trigger: Gmail - New Attachment

You may need to add a Filter as step 2.

@ababab608

You’ll want to use a Filter with conditions for the Mime Type:

NOTE: Make sure to use the Zap trigger data point shown below: “Attachment details mime type”

Here’s a reference list to the different Mime Types: https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/HTTP/Basics_of_HTTP/MIME_types/Common_types

Help article about how to change the trigger test data: https://zapier.com/help/create/basics/change-the-test-data-in-your-zap-trigger

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi @Troy Tessalone I feel like I am making some progress… but still unable to get it right.

The mime type I need is xlsx. I am finding and selecting the mime type from the documentation you provided, which looks like it should be: application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.spreadsheetml.sheet

I just cannot seem to find the attachment in the last dropdown. I am also not 100% sure what to put in the middle box or the last box. Screenshots below.

I am also needing guidance on the action step, which I do not think I am getting correct either. Screenshot on what I am trying below.  This is giving me a none type object has no attribute name error.

Any thoughts? 🙏

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@ababab608 

Make sure to select the correct mime type variable to use in the filter.

CORRECT

INCORRECT

Userlevel 2
Badge

@Troy Tessalone thank you. I have found the Attachment Detail Mime Type: Image/jpeg in the dropdown but I am still not sure what to with it. I have tried a few different combinations but cannot get Zapier to send an excel file as the attachment. I am sure I am not inputting the other parts of the filter correctly. Screenshot of my filter below. Are you able to identify/help me correct the rest of the filter? 

Btw, when I adjust the filter to text does not contain my Zap warns me it will not continue. I would think this is what I need bc I do not want to send the jpeg/image. 

Sorry for the continued confusion but I hope we are almost there.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@ababab608 

Use a static value of “text/csv” in the right side, otherwise the Filter condition will always evaluate to true since it would be comparing to itself.