Best answer

Download file from URL in Google Sheets

• 16 February 2021
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 1

Hello,

I have a Google Sheet with many many columns and rows. Within some of them are URLs to files (mainly JPGs and PNGs, but some are PDFs). I want to create a Zap that can grab the files from the URLs and save them into specific Google Drive folders.

Thank you so much!

icon

Best answer by XRay Tech 2 July 2021, 16:31

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hey @iane,

Thanks for letting us know. I’m so sorry to hear you ended up having to manually tackle it, that’s not ideal at all! 

I’m going to mark this as solved as it looks like XRay Tech’s suggestion here would be just the ticket! :)

Userlevel 1

Thank you @XRay Tech I appreciate the response! I unfortunately had to do everything one by one and have moved on from this, but I’m sure someone else will greatly benefit from the time saving zap 😂

Badge +4

Hello @iane ,

We have figured out your problem and there is a very easy solution. It seems that you can simply take the URL in the cell.

Take the URL seen in the cell

Nest Use a Formatter step that would extract a URL from the data especially if there is other text in that cell.

Select Extract URL from Text Transform option

Once you get the URL you can simply choose to “Upload a File” to Google Drive and put the Output from the Formatter step into the file field.

This should solve your issue and the file will be in your desired location in Google Drive.

If anyone has the solution to this, it would be appreciated! @AndrewJDavison_Luhhu @iane @GetUWired 

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

@iane 
Just checking in to see if you still need help with this? 

Userlevel 1

@GetUWired Yes, the URLs already exist on a CDN. I just need a zap to access/open the URL, and save the file to Google Drive Folders.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @iane 

Does this need to work with the data that already exists? Or just moving forward any new rows that come in with a url?