Best answer

Can I send message to Respond.io contact using dynamic message content from an email?

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi,

i have noticed the email parser https://zapier.com/features/parser ,

so i wonder if it is possible to set up some Zap/workflow/whathever that :

• listens for emails on a Zapier email address, like shown in the link above
  • extracts a phone number or email address from the received email body, which will have a known pattern
  • pass this number/email to the Find Contact action for Respond.io , to get the Respond.io contact matching with that num/email
  • Call the Send Message action for Respond.io, to send a message to the contact found above
  • Can the message to be sent be dynamic? Specifically, the text of the message should be taken from the received email body (it will be a part of it)

Thank you!

icon

Best answer by SamB 6 March 2023, 14:48

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

16 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Yes, that sounds like it would be possible here @grlb01! 🙂

Email Parser should be able to get the phone number and email into separate fields which you can select in the subsequent actions in your Zap. I looks like you can use either the phone number or email address to search for the contact in the Find Contact (Respond.io) action. But if that action doesn’t find an existing contact you may want to use a Create Contact (Respond.io) action to add them so that you can then send them a message.

If the message text you want to use comes through in a field from Email Parser then it should be possible for you to select that field in the Respond.io action. This would ensure that whenever the Zap runs, whatever text comes through in that selected Email Parser field is what would be used for the message that is sent. So it would be dynamic. 

Hope that helps to clarify. Please do keep us updated on how you get on with this!  

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thank you!

Related: in the Send Message action there is the Channel Type parameter. Can i specify “Whatsapp channel” in there?

We have integrated 360dialog with Respond.io, so we can send Whatsapp messages through the latter. We wanted to automated this with Zapier

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

@grlb01 Can you please add a screenshot for additional context. Without an account, I’m not able to replicate the Zap you are trying to set up and see for myself 😆. My pre-emptive answer to your question however, is if it is not able to be directly mapped over, and you can type in your static answer, the ‘Whatsapp channel’ Channel Type parameter will remain consistent no matter the message that comes through. Let me know if you have questions on this! 

Userlevel 1
Badge

@grlb01 Can you please add a screenshot for additional context. Without an account, I’m not able to replicate the Zap you are trying to set up and see for myself 😆. My pre-emptive answer to your question however, is if it is not able to be directly mapped over, and you can type in your static answer, the ‘Whatsapp channel’ Channel Type parameter will remain consistent no matter the message that comes through. Let me know if you have questions on this! 

This post has been edited by a moderator to remove personal information. Please remember that this is a public forum and to remove any sensitive information prior to posting.

Hi @chanelle , i’m getting there.

I have setup the Zap, and it seems to work when the Respond.io conversation is already open, here is a run xxxxxxx

But if it is not open, the message won’t arrive on Whatsapp. Will be stuck on Respond.io .

Someone told me i need to send a Whatsapp Template message , not Text message like it is now, and that will reopen the conversation and the message would actually get to the recipient Whatsapp.

But in the “Whatsapp template name” field i get no choices , and this error

We're having trouble loading 'WhatsApp Template name' data. Required field "Channel Id" (channelId) is missing.

Also for language code.

Can you help me figure out please?

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hello,

any hints please ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hey @grlb01,

I understand that you’re having trouble loading the “Whatsapp Template name” field. Before we dig deeper into the error, I noticed that the error is referencing the required field “Channel ID”. I suggest reselecting the “Channel Type” field with the correct ID to see if that helps. If not, would you mind sending over a screenshot of the “Channel Type” field in the Zap?

Thanks! 😊

Userlevel 1
Badge

This post has been edited by a moderator to remove personal information. Please remember that this is a public forum and to remove any sensitive information prior to posting.

Hi @ken.a 

i am sending you screenshots. 

In the first step, i am receiving an email with Phone in the subject, message text in the body.

In the second one, i intend to find the Whatsapp Channel on Respond.io , by the phone number

Here is my configuration for second step:

And this is my configuration for third step:

I am not sure if Channel Type should be that one, or the one below

Or maybe i should manually enter something else?

Also in the Whatsapp Template field, i probably have to enter the ID of the template as it is from our Respond.io account ? 

Any help appreciated

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

Hi @grlb01 

Before we dig deeper to those fields, it looks like there should be a special account permission required for the respond.io app. Does the account connected with Zapier have a special permission?

Here’s a helpful guide for the respond.io integration: https://help.zapier.com/hc/en-us/articles/11429698718093-How-to-get-started-with-respond-io-on-Zapier#about-app-s-app.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi @grlb01 

Before we dig deeper to those fields, it looks like there should be a special account permission required for the respond.io app. Does the account connected with Zapier have a special permission?

Here’s a helpful guide for the respond.io integration: https://help.zapier.com/hc/en-us/articles/11429698718093-How-to-get-started-with-respond-io-on-Zapier#about-app-s-app.

Hi,

i think i already have Owner/Manager permissions because the API Key from respond.io that i am using, was created by the Owner.

Also i can log in to respond.io and see my Zaps directly from there :

Is that the Zapier Integration page you indicated me?

What’s missing now?

Anyway if i edit the Zap directly from there, i have the same issues.

I still can enter manually the name of the template and languageCode, but i don’t know what to enter in Channel Type (i can enter it manually too)

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hey @grlb01,

Thanks for all those additional information and screenshots I appreciate it!

I did some digging into this, and it seems like one of the issue here is the mapped data in the “Channel Type” field.

5b0bbb8f5d9baa26dceadbef8131fb78.png
(view larger)

I suggest clicking the “Channel Type” field and select a data from the dropdown.

Please give it a try and let us know how it goes!

Thanks! 😊

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hey @grlb01,

Thanks for all those additional information and screenshots I appreciate it!

I did some digging into this, and it seems like one of the issue here is the mapped data in the “Channel Type” field.

5b0bbb8f5d9baa26dceadbef8131fb78.png
(view larger)

I suggest clicking the “Channel Type” field and select a data from the dropdown.

Please give it a try and let us know how it goes!

Thanks! 😊

These are the options available, and none of them seem relevant. I expected to see 360Dialog Whatsapp Channel (which is our channel type for sending Whatsapp messages through Respond.io)

Also, if i choose Last Interacted Channel, it’s not correct, since the last channel we used with the contact may be another type than Whatsapp (Email, Telegram, etc. ) 

Should i manually write 360Dialog Whatsapp in there ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hey there, @grlb01! Can you try selecting the “Line Items ID: 1234” and retesting the action again to see if you’re still getting the error?

Here’s a help doc worth checking out on mapping custom values, if it helps! 🙂

Userlevel 1
Badge

@christina.d Tried what you say, but still i get “Unable to load choices” in the template list.

Also, if i type the template and languageCode manually, still i don’t see a way to put values in the variables (there is 1 variable in the template, which is the contact first name).

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @grlb01

You said that when you try to type the template manually, you don’t see a way to put variables in it. When you are typing in the body of the message field, you should see a dropdown showing the fields from previous steps. Are you seeing that?

If you are, is First name a field you’re getting from one of the previous steps (eg the email Parser)? 

Going back to the Channel ID, what happens if you select ‘Specific channel’ in the dropdown?

I’m wondering if it will then give you the opportunity to select the channel that you need. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

@Danvers Nevermind, i have solved in other ways.

Is it possible to replace the screenshot in my reply above ( link https://community.zapier.com/how-do-i-3/can-i-send-message-to-respond-io-contact-using-dynamic-message-content-from-an-email-21812?postid=90832#post90832 )

with this image?

https://uploads-us-west-2.insided.com/zapier-ca/attachment/cc184426-a213-4061-90cc-da1979fc81d0.png

I cannot edit the post, and that image has personal info i wanted to remove. I asked an admin via PM but they did not reply.

Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Ah, thanks for that! I edited the photo - you’re good to go. 🙂