Question

Avoiding Duplicate Records in Insightly

• 30 March 2021
  • 9 replies

I have Gravity forms linked to Insightly so that when prospects fill out a form on our website it generates three things in Insightly:

1. Contact
  2. Organization
  3. Opportunity

Often, someone who fills out the form works for an Organization already in our system, but the current Zap creates a duplicate organization. Instead, I want it to search for the organization in our system and add a new one only if it isn’t there. I used to have the option to do that, but it seems the options have changed.

For bonus points, I would love for it to link the contact to the organization and to the opportunity so they are connected in the Related tab of Insightly.

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @gregsnyder 

Try using Paths in your Zap after doing a Find Record step: https://zapier.com/apps/paths/integrations#triggers-and-actions

Logic would be like this:

Path A: Match Found = TRUE, then Create Record

Path A: Match Found = FALSE, then Update Record

Yes, I think that is what replaced the previous method. Thank you.

Now, does anyone know if Zapier can link contacts/organizations/opportunities in Insightly?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@gregsnyder

You should be able to link Insightly Records by mapping the internal Insightly IDs for each record across Zap steps using the ‘Custom’ mapping option.

I think I grasp that conceptually, but in practice I get lost.

Are you able to walk me through the steps? Or point me to a tutorial?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@gregsnyder 

For example, if trying to link a Contact object to an Organization object, see screenshots below.

These are a few dropdown options, that show the friendly name and the internal Insightly ID (numeric) underneath in smaller gray font, which is the value Insightly expects.

Then you can use the ‘Custom’ mapping option to map a data point from a previous step to be used as the value for the Organization field.

Hmmm… I’m not quite seeing where the output from the previous step is found. Maybe I’m selecting the wrong action type. My flow is this:

Trigger - Gravity Form submitted on website

Step 2 - Create Contact in Insightly

Step 3 - Create Opportunity in Insightly

Step 4 - Link Contact to Opportunity in Insightly (Here’s where I get hung up)

Here are the choices I made

Update a Record

Select Opportunity

Choose the Opportunity from the previous step

Find the field I want to update (Contact) and select the contact ID from the previous step

But when I run the test it pops up a 404 error

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@gregsnyder 

Do you have an Insightly paid plan?

Paid/versioned account - A paid Insightly plan is required in order to use the Insightly integration.

Might be best to open a ticket with Zapier Support to troubleshoot further: https://zapier.com/app/get-help

We do have a paid Insightly plan, but perhaps it’s not at a high enough level. I’ll open a ticket and see if they can help.

Thank you so much for your time on this!

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

Hey @gregsnyder, hope you’re doing well, just wanted to check in!

Was the trouble here due to the plan level for Insightly or are you still needing help?