Best answer

How can I send Discord messages to a Google Sheet based on the user that sent it?

• 29 June 2022
  • 3 replies

Don’t know if its possible but what I am trying to do is make a chain that will see when a new discord message is sent in a channel with specific text then send the User who sent it and the date it was sent into a google doc then  populate that date into a specified cell in a roster document based on the User name and only update that persons last time they sent a message.

Example: A

Discord Message:
Dave: Hi

first google doc
Username      Date Message Sent

Dave                   6/29/2022   <-------------------------

|    Move this date to second google doc

Second Google Doc                                              |    based on the user name.

Username     Blah Blah     Date                            |

Dave                                 6/29/2022  <--------------

Sally                                   6/14/2022

icon

Best answer by jesse 30 June 2022, 02:15

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

3 replies

Any suggestions or help would be great thank you.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hey @CtrlAltDelirious welcome to the Community! Loving the username by the way. 😛

Okay, let’s see if we can break this down and see what’s possible here! When I’m building a workflow, I like to think about it in terms of apps and steps. For example:

1. Discord: New message posted to channel
  2. Filter by Zapier: Only continue if the message text contains (you decide)
  3. Google Sheets: Create Row (First sheet)
  4. Google Sheets: Find/Create Row (Second Sheet) (Based on username - this will create a row for the username if one isn’t found)
  5. Google Sheets: Update Row (Update the row by using the ID of the row you found in the previous step, and record today’s date by using this trick: https://zapier.com/help/create/customize/insert-the-time-your-zap-runs-into-a-field)

It might also be helpful to know that Google Sheets need to be formatted in a certain way to work with your Zaps. More info on that, here: https://zapier.com/help/create/format/work-with-google-sheets-in-zaps#make-sure-the-first-row-is-a-header-row-with-column-names

Give that a go and let us know if you have any questions as you’re getting set up! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hey @CtrlAltDelirious! I wanted to check in to see if my previous suggestions helped get you on track. Let us know - we want to help get you up and running with this workflow!