Best answer

Zaps dependent on Airtable aren't working

Userlevel 1
Badge

As of this AM all the zaps related to Airtable are busted on my account. Last one went out normally at 2:28AM and none since. Basically the issue seems to be that Zaps, are looking for fields that they are not finding. Please advise if anyone else is seeing the same. As we’re a medical practice using Zaps for assisting with results reporting for COVID this is pretty critical.

icon

Best answer by christina.d 1 September 2021, 23:04

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

25 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @Boguslda 

Zapier is well aware and working on a rollback to fix the issue.

Twitter: https://twitter.com/AndrewJDavison/status/1432705183918792708

Userlevel 1
Badge

@Troy Tessalone 

Hi Troy, thank you, taking a breath now! Should I assume that when the fix is in, all of the “waiting/scheduled zaps” will rerun properly? Also, you wouldn’t by chance have any clarity on the rollback timeline, would you?

Thank you from the bottom of my heart. 

Side note: This is my first time posting here. Is this the proper forum besides emailing Zapier support to post issues such as above?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Boguslda 

I do not work for Zapier, so unfortunately I don’t have all the facts.

From what I’ve gathered the data structure from Airtable was altered, thus breaking the mappings in the Zaps, so I believe it’s unlikely that any of the already triggered Zaps that are “waiting/scheduled” will be able to be replayed properly.

That means you’d likely have to retrigger those Zaps AFTER you have tested and confirmed the fix has been fully rolled out/back.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thank you again. I would think something like this would be posted on:

https://status.zapier.com/#incidents-list

but nope…. Oy. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

@Troy Tessalone 

How willwe know when the issue has been resolved?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Boguslda 

Unsure.

Zapier may post about it here, may post about it on their Status page, may Tweet about it, may send and email, etc.

Best you can do it to periodically check again to verify if the Zaps involving Airtable seem to be working as expected.

Userlevel 1
Badge

@Troy Tessalone So, some of my zaps seemed to be back in play, once I changed the references with the new Fields_NAME structure. Yet, the rest of them look normally when you look at them and don’t show a broken reference, yet on Zap runs, they spit out garbage data that prevent triggering. So frustrating. Any luck on your end?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Boguslda

Still waiting on an official reply from Zapier.

NOTE: We’ve pushed them internally to put out a reply.

I have not made any changes to any of my Zaps, because if you did, you may have to make changes again.

Userlevel 1
Badge

No official reply for Zapier to me either. So bizarre that some of the zaps originating elsewhere (Oncehub) that look for a specific field in AirTable can find it, and it works just fine, updates that record.

Conversely, zaps that trigger in AirTable or filter by a field in Airtable are just totally malfunctioning (data-outputting garbage field references). pls lmk if you hear anything from the zapier team.

Userlevel 1
Badge

@Troy Tessalone 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Boguslda 

It has to do with the structure of the data requests being made: triggers vs actions

Airtable Find Record action steps should function as expected because it’s relying on Airtable IDs/Names for Bases/Tables/Views/Fields.

Whereas when data is sent from Airtable to the Zap trigger, the issue seems to be that the data structure changed, thus impacting the mapping of data points across Zap steps.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Thanks for reaching out @Boguslda! I know not having access to necessary data definitely isn’t ideal. In digging into this it appears there was a secondary issue impacting the original rollback and some users may still be experiencing this bug. The team is actively still working on a solution for these users. In the meantime, I’ve added your email to to be notified directly once a fix is in place!

All that being said, depending on if your Zap(s) are still affected by this, this is a potential workaround to retrieve any lost data. In the interest of transparency, this will likely only work if you were part of the group who was successfully migrated.

1. Make a copy of your affected Zap(s).
  2. Create a checkbox field for your Airtable records called "Send to Zapier". Then, create a new view in Airtable called "Missed Records". Set this view to only include records that have a ticked box in the "Send to Zapier" field. The new view should be empty. Do not add check the box in this new field until the Zap is set up and turned on.
  3. Set the new copy of your Zap to trigger on the Missed Records view. Turn the Zap on, and try checking the box in the Send to Zapier field for one record to confirm that it enters the new Missed Records view and triggers the Zap.
  4. Once you've confirmed that this works, you can check the box on the "Send to Zapier" field for all of the records that the original Zap did not process.

Then, you can turn this Zap off and simply allow your original Zap(s) to continue running.

We’ll also be sure to keep this thread updated as soon as we know more. We truly can’t thank you enough for your continued patience while the team works out a solution for this.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi @christina.d ,

I am not sure if this situation can properly be described “isn’t ideal,” but let’s go with that. The practical implications of the current bug are that a number of schoolkids and teachers who’re expecting their script for COVID testing won’t get one, and may or may not get tested. Just to put context to my frustration with today’s **** stravaganza….

On a practical level, I have two questions:

1. Do we have an estimated resolution date/time?
  2. Will the automations currently stuck in Waiting/scheduled mode rerun when the bug is fixed?

Best,

David Boguslavsky, MD  

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

:rage:

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Any update?

Userlevel 1
Badge

Some automations are coming back to life, but far from all. For example 200 negative results went out tonight (Yay) but the two POSITIVE COVID results got stuck and never fired… Hopefully all resolved by tomorrow AM.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I am at 0 / 200 working Zaps.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Haha, makes me feel good I guess about being 3 for 50, LOL!

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hi @Boguslda and @Buttonjer,

Thanks so much for your ongoing patience and understanding. I wanted to keep the thread updated and let you know this should be resolved at this time. While affected Zap Runs are not able to be replayed, the workaround posted above should process data for any runs that errored out. If you are still experiencing issues, please don’t hesitate to reach out to our support team: https://zapier.com/app/get-help and they’ll be glad to review any logs with you.

Is anyone still seeing this issue?  It seemed to be resolved last week, but as of late last night we’re seeing the “field_” nesting issue again and our zaps are hitting errors.  Refreshing fields isn’t working either.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Hi @alangan, I am not having any troubles on my end with Airtable <> Zapier integration, I have just manually tested a few to check. 

Could the affected Zap be one that was opened during the last issue and not fixed? I know I had to manually fix any that I had opened and tried to debug during the last issue.

@Buttonjer So that was exactly what I thought was happening -- the first few errors I got were indeed on Zaps that we “fixed” during the initial bugginess last week, but then I also got an error on one we had left alone (once we found this thread, we stopped messing with things and just waited for the rollback).  Weird thing is, when I try to manually fix these zaps, I still only have the fields with “Field” written before the title, so there is no option to go back to the way things were!

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I’m sorry to hear this, @alangan! I’d recommend opening a ticket with our support team. They’ll be able to review your logs and see what the cause of this could be. 

Just to be a good citizen, here’s the solution we found--our Test Data was outdated and was still pulling in things from Airtable that were mapped incorrectly, thus the following steps also only showed options with the “Field” prefix before the field title.  We couldn’t fix it before simply because the Zapier servers went down for a little bit right when we were trying!  The fix was as simple as pulling in new Test Data after the servers were back up.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Awesome! Thanks so much for the update, @alangan! I’m glad you were able to get this sorted out. 🙂