Question

Zapier not passing on initial zap, but working on retest

Hey there,

Has anyone ever run into an issue where the data isn't passing from one source to another on the first trigger, but when you retest through zapier, it works?

I’m trying to pass information from Bubble to Hubspot and for some reason the information isn’t being passed through. 

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

15 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @jefromwf 

Good question.

Best place to troubleshoot is the Zap Runs: https://zapier.com/app/history/

• Check the DATA IN/OUT for each Zap step.
  • Did the Zap trigger?
  • Did a Zap step have an error?

Hey @Troy Tessalone 

Thanks for responding.

I’m looking through the Zap Runs.

This is an example of a zap on the initial zap:

Data OUT from Step 1

Data IN from Step 2

Data OUT from Step 2: I’m not seeing anything representing these fields. Only Email

And running through the Retest in the Zap builder, it updates the users information on my CRM when you retest but doesn’t change anything.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@jefromwf 

When you see the {{placeholder}} it means the mapped variable was missing/empty/blank/null.

Looks like you’d need to remap you variables from the Zap trigger.

I’ve seen it happen before where the test data variables and the live data variables are different, which can cause this behavior.

Here’s a help article about how to change your trigger tests data to configure the Zap: https://zapier.com/help/create/basics/change-the-test-data-in-your-zap-trigger

@Troy Tessalone oh that’s what those are. 

i remapped the variables. i also checked the field types in hubspot to make sure they’re matching and still experiencing the same issues.

currently, i’m sending text fields from bubble to single line-texts in hubspot.

is there something i’m missing?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@jefromwf 

Can you post a screenshot with how your Zap steps are configured, along with the DATA OUT from the Zap trigger step in the Zap Editor (not the Zap Runs).

@Troy Tessalone 

Sure thing.

Step 1:

Step 2:

Email

Budget

First name

Industries

Last name

How can we help  

Data OUT

Industries

First name

Last name

Budget

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@jefromwf 

This should explain the issue and how to resolve…

EXAMPLE

Variables from Zap Editor

Notice these include “Text” as part of the Label name

VS

Variables from Zap Runs DATA OUT trigger step

###

Reference this help article:

You’ll need to manually remap each variable, and when doing so, you’ll need to remove the trailing “_text” that’s encoded.
EXAMPLE

TO: {{148114479_last_name}}

@Troy Tessalone Oh I see! I’m definitely going to try this out!

A noob question:

I read the Help article, but still a little lost.

Would I have to pull every node that I'm needing to change into a Text Editor and then reupload the new fields into Zapier?

I know I have to create custom pill mapping, but I’m not entirely sure where to do that.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@jefromwf 

Try this:

1. Copy a pill
  2. Paste the value into the browser bar
  3. Remove the _text
  4. Copy the value from the browser bar
  5. Past the value back in the field (it will turn into a pill again)

The test again.

@Troy Tessalone 

it doesn’t look like that worked either. 

When I added the new pills, the data isn’t being pulled in anymore:

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@jefromwf 

Have you tested after making the pill changes, then checked the Zap Runs for results?

@Troy Tessalone yup. the screenshots above are from the zap runs with the updated pills.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@jefromwf 

At this point, it’s probably best to open a ticket with Zapier Support for them to help you troubleshoot further since they have backend access to your Zap Runs and Zap trigger data: https://zapier.com/app/get-help

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@jefromwf 

One alternative to try with Bubble is to send a webhook with the form data to trigger the Zap instead of using the Bubble Zap app.

The Zap trigger would be Webhook - Catch Hook

Webhooks: https://zapier.com/apps/webhook/help