Best answer

Zapier not firing - Google Calendar to Asana

• 12 January 2022
  • 7 replies

Trying to troubleshoot an issue that I’m having.. I think I know the answer but need support coming up with a solution.

Setup: 

• Trigger - 1. New or Updated Event in Google Calendar
  • Action - 2. Find or Create Task in Asana

Issue:  Event changes in Google Calendar is not getting updated

Potential Reason - the Summary Name / Name  is what’s usually being updated

Solutions?

• I’ve noticed that there is a Google Calendar ID field.. can it map to that to make updates? How can I make Zapier set the ‘key’ for any updates?
icon

Best answer by Troy Tessalone 18 January 2022, 19:50

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @Jmonahan 

Can you please clarify with what Zap step you are having issues?

Some help articles to reference for GCal:

"Update Event" doesn't show the event I want to update

Only events created within the last 7 days will show in the Event dropdown menu. To update events created earlier than this, add a Find Event step to get the Event ID. Then, in the Event dropdown menu for the Update Event step, select Custom and paste in that ID. You can delete the Find Event step after getting the ID.

"Event Updated" is triggering multiple times on the same event

If you have a repeated event and you update the series, the Zap will trigger once per event. So if the event repeats 10 times, it will trigger 10 times. There isn't a way around this, as each individual calendar entry in a series is considered its own event.

• The Event Updated trigger will fire for calendar events autogenerated by Google, such as: birthday calendars, imported .ics files, imported .csv files.
  • The Event Updated trigger will also fire whenever you update a recurring event and choose to update multiple events in the series.

I think - I cannot be certain, that it’s an issue with zap step 2 - it’s not updating the existing asana task when the google calendar is updated.

I also think that the issue might be that the change to the google calendar event is frequently the name of the event. I’m wondering how zapier recognizes when doing a find task action.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Jmonahan 

Please post screenshots with how each of your Zap steps are configured with the mapped variables.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Jmonahan

If you are testing this Zap step manually, do you have an Asana Task to be found that has this exact name? “This is a test event.

YES BUT this is the point of the issue I’m having - the calendar events that I have are changing the Name (Summary) - is this what Zapier uses to match (key) and update?  If so then that’s why it’s not working for me.

And if that’s the case is there anything else I can make it look at (ID for example)?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Jmonahan 

If you are trying to find a matching Asana Task by Name, but the name of the GCal Event has changed, then you likely won’t find a match using that data point.

Best to use the internal IDs from apps as those are unique and won’t change.

Some thoughts…

1. Add the Asana Task ID back to the GCal Title or Description, then parse that out for use
  2. Add the GCal Event ID to the Asana Task to reference
    1. You may need to leverage the Asana API to find the Task by ID in a custom field: https://developers.asana.com/docs
    2. App APIs can be used in Zaps with the Webhook app as an action step: https://zapier.com/apps/webhook/help