Best answer

Zap to find and delete text in a Smartsheet cell

Badge

I need a zap created to look up a cell in Smartsheet, and look for the text “Prospect Edification”. If it exists, then delete it from that cell, but keep all other text in that cell.

Everything is straight forward and working except deleting ONLY “Prospect Edification”. Is there a way to delete only this text and keep the rest?

There is a couple filters too…. here is more or less what I want:

If ColumnA = “Yes” and Column B is not blank, look up Column C for “Prospect Edification” and if it exists, delete text “Prospect Edification”

Thanks so much!

icon

Best answer by Danvers 23 May 2022, 12:34

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @Davyn 

Good question.

Might best to open a ticket with Zapier Support for guidance: https://zapier.com/app/get-help

In some other apps they indicate how to clear the contents of a cell with certain formatting.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hey @Davyn happy to help out with this workflow! It sounds like you could achieve this by using the following steps (after a new row trigger or find row action for Smartsheet):

• Filter Step
    • If ColumnA = “Yes”
    • Column B is not blank
    • Column C contains “Prospect Edification”
  • Formatter Text Utility > “Replace”
    • Leave the value you want to replace it with, empty. This will ensure “Prospect Edification” is deleted from the string of text.
  • Update Row
    • Dynamically select the row by using the row ID from your previous Smartsheet step
    • In the “Column C” field, select the output of the previous Formatter step

Give that a go and let me know how you make out!

Badge

Hi Jesse,

This is great thanks! I set it up and it’s giving me an error “

Failed to create a row_update in Smartsheet

The app returned "Value is not supported for this column type. Use objectValue instead.".

I am assuming this is because the column I am changing text in is a multi select dropdown… is that correct? 

Badge

Hi @Davyn 

Good question.

Might best to open a ticket with Zapier Support for guidance: https://zapier.com/app/get-help

In some other apps they indicate how to clear the contents of a cell with certain formatting.

Thanks Troy… I will go that route if I can’t resolve it here. Cheers

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @Davyn! I looked into this and you’re right that it’s the fact that you’d like to change the text in a multi-select dropdown that’s causing the error. The Smartsheet Zapier integration doesn’t currently support that type of field, I’m sorry about that! We do have a feature request open for this and I’ve added you as an interested user. This lets the Smartsheet team know how many folks would like to see this addition and also means that we’ll send you an email when we have an update.

Badge

K I am working on another solution with formulas in Smartsheet. 

Thanks!