Best answer

Zap referencing incorrectly when running.

  • 27 May 2020
  • 1 reply
  • 49 views

Userlevel 1

I’ve created a Zap which turns Typeform entries into a document.

it roughly looks like this: new typeform entry > send data to google sheet for formatting > create doc from typeform & sheets outputs > create & send to new folder 

When i run a task to edit a google sheet which has been created in the zap (e.g 1.create sheet > 2.edit sheet that’s been created) it edits the original google sheet used to create the zap rather than the new one which has been created.

This happens on 2 separate google sheet tasks.

This is also happening in the create & send to new folder section. A new folder is being created, but the folder that was referenced to initially create the zap is now the folder where the files are being sent to, rather than the new folder.

To be clear, this happens when the zap automatically runs. If you click ‘Test & Review’ everything works fine.

This has never been a problem for me before.

I thought that when you make a zap, zapier knows the files, folders etc. that you are referencing in tasks actually represent the concept of “reference the file/folder which has been made in this zap” rather than literally “reference ‘File A’ every-time this zap runs”

 

I’ve attached reference files. the first show’s how the file ID being created is not the same spreadsheet being edited. The second & 3rd shows the same, but with folders.

 

icon

Best answer by AndrewJDavison_Luhhu 27 May 2020, 15:17

@josef  As we’re discussing on Slack, your issue here is rooted in the fact that your “Update Spreadsheet Row” step is using a dynamically mapped ID for the spreadsheet selection - which is a known issue with Zapier (due to a Google API issue).

I’ll report back here if we find a solution.

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

@josef  As we’re discussing on Slack, your issue here is rooted in the fact that your “Update Spreadsheet Row” step is using a dynamically mapped ID for the spreadsheet selection - which is a known issue with Zapier (due to a Google API issue).

I’ll report back here if we find a solution.