Best answer

Variables button not visible for AIrtable/Gmail integration

Hi Zapier community,

My goal is to send Gmail messages for new Airtable records. I’m getting stuck when I get to Step 2 of the setup process. I can only add individual records to the “To” gmail form rather than a variable (see screenshot below). In other words, I can’t see the “Add variables” button to add variable to my “To” gmail field. What am I doing wrong? Any help would be highly appreciated.

Thanks,

Alan

icon

Best answer by ForYourIT 2 May 2020, 14:56

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi there @ZapierNewbie and welcome to the community,

If you click on the field itself it should pop out a field where you can select your variables. See: http://prntscr.com/s9lhwf

Let me know if this helped you or if you got any other questions.

~Bjorn

Thanks Bjorn for your response. I see the same functionality as in your screenshot but as far as I can tell that doesn’t let you choose a variable but only one or multiple individual records. What I’m looking for is to be able to add a variable such as “Email” for every record similar to the tutorial on https://support.airtable.com/hc/en-us/articles/222768427-Using-Zapier-to-send-email-notifications (see gif below). In my interface, I don’t see the button that shows the horizontal lines with the plus icon. I think that’s how you choose from variables but it doesn’t show up in my UI. What am I doing wrong?

A gif in this post was removed by a moderator as it contained personal information. Please do not include private information in your posts. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

I see what you mean now @ZapierNewbie . This small screen GIF you are showing is from the old UI I believe however. In the new UI, you just use the dropdown menu.

If you like to add multiple “To's” you can click the + button and it will add another recipient. This should do the trick and send an email to every new record that is being added to Airtable.

Let me know if you have any additional questions or need more support.

~Bjorn

Thanks so much Bjorn. Sorry, but I must be explaining myself really badly. Let me try again. When I open the drop down I see the following which is pretty much what you showed me

But as you can see it only allows me to add individual records from variables like “Email”. What I’d like to do is to choose the “Email” of all records so that the Zap emails every new record that’s being created which has an email address. The animated gif in my previous response shows this but this functionality doesn’t seem to work in my example. I hope you understand what I mean 🙂 Thanks in advance for your help.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

No problem, I am happy to help. 

If I understand you correctly, you want to send an email to every “new record” in Airtable that has an email. Correct? Or would you like to send an email to all users in the Airtable when there is a new record?

If the first, then this is working as intended already. Here is what happens:

1. You have a trigger that triggers when a new record gets created in Airtable
  2. Every new record in Airtable will be triggered when you create this
  3. An email will be send to the “email” column related to this new record

For example, I have created 3 new records in my Airtable. Here is what my workflow looks like:

Now the full Zap workflow will be triggered on every new record. So this is what would happen:

So basically I believe it is working as you intended. It will send an email to every new user.

Let me know if this helps you or if you have any other questions.

~Bjorn

Correct, I want to email to every “new record” in Airtable that has an email. I followed your advice and test it out. It works! Thanks so much for your help and patience :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Great! Good to hear. Please mark the post as answered.

Let me know if you need any additional support.

~Bjorn

Thanks so much for all your help!