Best answer

How do I post a Teams message in HTML format to make URL links clickable?

• 20 September 2020
  • 83 replies

Userlevel 3

Hi,

is there a way to post a Teams message as html format?
Currently it’s as text only and so e.g. URL links aren’t clickable atm when sending an automatic message to someone.

Maybe a switch which sets the content-type of the message to html or test if preffered would be very handy :)
Have a nice sunday!

icon

Best answer by SamB 12 December 2023, 10:23

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

83 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @Julez! I moved your post to a new thread as it’s a little different to the original question and we can answer your question more clearly in a new post 🙂

The short answer is that html isn’t possible but you can add links. You can add links using something markdown language. Markdown is a common language across the internet and is another way to add formatting to text. 

To add a link to text using markdown, type the word or phrase that you want to link in square brackets, then the url in curved (regular) brackets, like this:

[here’s the text that I want to link](https://heresthelinkitgoesto.com)

GitHub have a super handy ‘cheat sheet’ for Markdown that I find helpful: Markdown Cheatsheet (from GitHub)

Have you tried out the new Zapier app in MS Teams? It lets you view, create, and edit Zaps right within Teams. If you look in the MS Teams app store you should be able to find it and if you’d like to learn a little more, we announced it in the news category a little while back. 

If you do install the Zapier Teams app, drop me a DM and I’ll add you to a group where you can share your feedback about the app in the Community 🙂

> To add a link to text using markdown, type the word or phrase that you want to link in square brackets, then the url in curved (regular) brackets, like this:

Hi@Danvers, for me this is not true, at least not with my configuration. If I send a message with “Send Chat Message in Microsoft Teams”, the markdown is printed as a string with [](). Do you know what to do in such a case? Thanks :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi @sefzig - Could you send a screenshot and details of where you’re seeing that Markdown in your configuration? We need to verify what’s happening for you so that we can let the team know. Thanks!

Userlevel 1

I am hitting this same problem. I think the problem is that sending CHAT messages in MS Teams always sends the message as plain text, not markdown, so there is no way to format it.

If you send CHANNEL messages, there is an option to change the format to markdown, which allows for formatting.

Would it be possible to add the text format option for MS Teams CHAT messages as well?

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Did you try to send HTML code?  @azbctxks 

@Julez 

Try this as custom value

<a href="https://zapier.com/" target="_blank">Zapier is amazing</a>

If you can click it now you can create HTML blocks and insert your values from previous App steps.

Userlevel 1

@Wemakefuture Yes, I tried html and it comes through as text:

The problem is that the content type is always text when you are sending a chat message. There is no way to change it to html, markdown, or anything else:

Userlevel 1

@Wemakefuture  Yes, I tried html and it still comes through as text:

The problem is that any time you send a chat in Teams, it is sent as text:

It would be nice if the default was html or markdown to allow formatting, or just if the option to change the format was available like it is for channel messages.

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

@steph.n can you please move this to the Devs? To let the user select, which contentType they want to post?

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi there @Wemakefuture - So that I know how to help, I’m not sure what you mean by “move this to the devs.” Are you requesting a feature request here? Please let me know. Thanks!

I am using Teams (beta) with Linux (Ubuntu). With Gnome terminal, there is a “copy as HTML” option, which embeds it and when I paste into Teams, it’s recognized.  However if i paste it into a text editor, the buffer became HTML code and when I copy/paste the HTML code into Teams it’s not converted, just showing as plain HTML code.

Hope this helps a bit.

Userlevel 1

I am hitting this same problem. 
Did anyone found a solution for this ? 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hitting the same issue here too. MS Chat messages show all text, HTML Mark or Mark down just appears in it’s raw form, whatever I try. 

A solution would be good, as I cant even do new lines at the moment.

When sending to channel you have the ability to select the formatting type.

View of Channel Message Options

But when you send the Chat Message, you don’t have the same options.

View of Chat Message Options

Only plain text is possible. Please extend the same formatting option to Chat Messages as you have to channels. 

*P.S.- The only reason most of us are using Chat Channels is because you can’t use a webhook to push to a private channel. I don’t need everyone in the team getting alerts, and I don’t want to make a new team to subscribe to alerts. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @FLIT 

You can submit a feature request for this to Zapier Support here: https://zapier.com/app/get-help

Userlevel 2
Badge

Is there a feature request already logged for this or should all of us on this thread log one?

MS are phasing out Skype for MS Teams in Windows 11 and this feature is going to quickly become essential.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi @AshleyMorris @FLIT @Vyto @fchen @azbctxks @sefzig @Julez!

We have an existing feature request for adding HTML/Markdown support to the Send Chat action in Microsoft Teams. I’ve added all of your votes to that, which means you’ll receive an email notification when it gets implemented :)

Hi @AshleyMorris @FLIT @Vyto @fchen @azbctxks @sefzig @Julez!

We have an existing feature request for adding HTML/Markdown support to the Send Chat action in Microsoft Teams. I’ve added all of your votes to that, which means you’ll receive an email notification when it gets implemented :)

Please add me to this notification 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Welcome @Patrick Atkins! :)

I’ve just added your vote to that feature request. We’ll be in touch with you via email as soon as we have an update!  

Welcome @Patrick Atkins! :)

I’ve just added your vote to that feature request. We’ll be in touch with you via email as soon as we have an update!  

Hi Sam, 

Could you please add us to the list for this feature request as well, please?

This is very important to us - otherwise the “Send Chat” feature is pretty much broken at this point without the ability to properly format messages.

Thank you!

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Sure thing, @uob_international! Happy to confirm that I’ve added your vote as well. We’ll email you once it’s been added. :)

Hi Sam,

Please add us to the notification as well, this feature is eagerly awaited at our company.

Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hey @Tick42 Ltd! I’ve added your vote too. We will email you as soon as it’s added. :)

I was scrolling and scrolling hoping a resolution was found at the end.  Nope.  LOL.   @SamB , can I get added to the notification for this as well?  Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Welcome to the community, @PF_Devs! Sorry about the endless scroll but glad you’re here!

Absolutely, I got your vote added to that. We’ll send you an email and keep this thread updated as soon as we know more. 🙂

Please add me to this notification