Best answer

Updating Data in Intercom from Google Sheet

• 24 March 2020
  • 8 replies

I’m having a bit of trouble with a sheets to intercom zap I could use some clarification on. I’m using a “search” action to find or create a new lead in intercom when a new row is added to my sheet. (via a native or google form) 

My problem is I also want to update data in a column that gets modified at a later date. My team checks for missing profile information then adds what’s missing to this column which should be added to the existing lead as a custom attribute. 

This worked fine with Create/Update a lead and doesn’t seem to now with the search function. Can someone clarify if Search or Create lead will also work on an updated spreadsheet row? Do I need to potentially create a 2nd zap to update the intercom profile when the row is updated?

(how will it find a match without creating duplicate?) (other columns may get edited so that’s not ideal) Just looking for direction while I wait for a Zapier team member to help. 

Thank you for any help! 

icon

Best answer by Danvers 2 April 2020, 13:32

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hi @BrianO 

What are you using as a search key? Assuming it’s something like Intercome record ID then you should still be able to find the row even if it’s been updated after the zap first created it.

I’m using email address. and have it configured as my ID to find a lead from. So good to know I’m on the right track. Just not seeing the data come through or a Zap task after I go to an existing row in my sheet and add or update new information to a column which is where I’m a little stumped. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Wait, so you want to update the data in Google Sheets and then have that go through to Intercom?

yes that’s correct. update the google sheet row and have that update the intercom profile. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Can you show us how you’ve got those steps setup so far?

sure here are some screen shots Step 2 which is not pictured is just a simple filter to make sure one column in my sheet has a value before proceeding no issues there. 

Anytime i’ve tried to put an email value in “Lead ID” my zap always returns an error so i’m not really sure how that works. this setup has created new leads in intercom without issue. 

Where i’m still stumped and zapiers documentation doesn’t make sure clear is does my chosen action ALSO update a lead profile when data from the google sheet is changed? So far it seems to only 

A.  find a lead then if not found create a new one. 

If i could also UPDATE the profile when the sheet info changes that would be helpful. 

Example sometimes we are given an incorrect address if a team member could update our sheet and that shoot to intercom on the proper lead profile that would save us from updating in 2 places and requiring unnecessary intercom accounts. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @BrianO!

The Intercom integration is a little confusing as it has both a Find/Create Lead action and also a Create/Update Lead action, although intercom can will only update the lead if the ID of the lead is provided. This means that you need two steps in your Zap to both Create and Update lead:

1. Find Lead - Add the ‘Create Lead’ option
  2. Create/Update Lead - use the ID of the Lead that was found or created in the previous step as a custom value for Lead to make sure that Intercom will update an existing lead. 

I know that step 2 seems a little superfluous if the lead was only just created, but using both step is the only way to both find, create and update leads.

​I hope that's clear, please let me know if you have any questions!