Best answer

Updating a field in Firebase not being Zapped to Mailchimp

Users can register to use my App. The data is stored in Firebase and moved using a zap to Mailchimp. If a user amends their data e.g. changes their name how do I set up a Zap to identify and update this in Mailchimp please?

icon

Best answer by ForYourIT 3 May 2020, 22:18

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @AR2020 ,

Zapier currently doesn't support a Trigger for Firebase whenever a record in the Firebase Database has changed. If you would like to accomplish this, you will probably have to write a little code yourself that retrieves, compares and sends data you want.

Let me know if that helps you or if you have any additional questions.

~Bjorn

Thank you Bjorn. That is very helpful to know. Just out of interest do you provide a service to provide such code? What would the costs be and also if it is something that you can code directly from within firebase would it interfere with the coding that the App developers are making? Just so that I know for future reference. Thanks.

Also, is there an alternative to Zapier which can do this or do they all pretty much have the same limitation?

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@AR2020 - The official Firebase integration doesn’t seem to have a trigger for an updated object. It’s probably possible with a custom Zapier app.

Another idea would be to create another object in your Firebase database and append any updated data to it then use the following trigger in Zapier to detect the change. Hope this helps.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @AR2020 ,

Thank you Bjorn. That is very helpful to know. Just out of interest do you provide a service to provide such code? What would the costs be and also if it is something that you can code directly from within firebase would it interfere with the coding that the App developers are making? Just so that I know for future reference. Thanks.

Yes, we do provide these kind of custom integrations. We have created integrations for Youtube, Twitter, Drive and other systems so that shouldn’t be a problem. 
I can’t say much about the price. This completely depends on the project scope and needs. We would have to chat a bit more about this and figure out your exact needs.

Also, is there an alternative to Zapier which can do this or do they all pretty much have the same limitation?

You could take a look at some atlernatives but I think they would be all the same (Integromat, Microsoft Workflow etc.). 

Like ​​​​​@ikbelkirasan said you could create a workaround that would fill another database with updates, and then Trigger on these database with updates. 
An alternative could be;

• Create a column in your current Firebase with “last modified” which you will push from your app once a user changes something.
  • Make a Zap workflow, and as trigger, use a “schedule by Zapier” and run this workflow every hour / day.
  • Make an action with “Find Firebase Record” and search for anything that was modified in the last hour / day depending on your Trigger schedule
  • Run some Action on these records that were modified.

Let me know if this helps you

~ Bjorn