Best answer

Updated Task in Asana trigger to Lookup/Update Row in Google Sheet actions

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hello Everyone.

I’m currently trying to create a Zap that triggers once a task status (Not started, In progress, Completed) has been updated in Asana and then updates the correct google spreadsheet row relating to that task.

I’ve tried using the lookup sheets step but I keep running into parsing errors. 

icon

Best answer by Troy Tessalone 26 May 2021, 19:20

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

23 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @VistaJordan 

Are you able to provide us more context about how you have your Zap steps configured and the issues you are having?

Have you referenced the available help docs related to GSheet’s Zap app?

https://zapier.com/apps/google-sheets/help

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi @VistaJordan 

Are you able to provide us more context about how you have your Zap steps configured and the issues you are having?

Have you referenced the available help docs related to GSheet’s Zap app?

https://zapier.com/apps/google-sheets/help

Hi Troy,

Thanks for the reply. I have referenced the available help documents and none of them seem to provide a solution to the challenge I’m facing.

In regards to the Zap steps;

I have an Asana trigger setup to trigger when a task in my a specified project is updated which than follows into a google sheets lookup action to identify the relevant row and the final action is a google sheets update.

The two main problems i seem to be facing is making sure the zap can identify the correct google sheets row in conjunction to the edited task and updating the the progress column to reflect the tasks status.

As of right now i keep getting the following parsing error;

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @VistaJordan

Are you able to provide screenshots of how your GSheet Zap step is currently configured where the error is occuring?

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi @VistaJordan

Are you able to provide screenshots of how your GSheet Zap step is currently configured where the error is occuring?

Hi @Troy Tessalone,

I’ve included screenshots below of the Lookout & update steps.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Userlevel 1
Badge

@Troy Tessalone 

I seem to be having a few issues with the forum when attaching images. Here is the second image.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@VistaJordan

The Row value needs to be an ID # for the Row in the GSheet.

This should be the Row ID from the GSheets Lookup Row step.

Userlevel 1
Badge

@VistaJordan

The Row value needs to be an ID # for the Row in the GSheet.

This should be the Row ID from the GSheets Lookup Row step.

@Troy Tessalone

Thanks, that seems to have fixed the parsing issue, however once I ran the Zap it seemed like it could not locate the ‘In progress’ cell in the sheet and update it to ‘completed’. I am using a lookup support column to match the name to the progress cell so it doesn’t update the first in-progress column it finds. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@VistaJordan 

Are you able to provide screenshots of the GSheets Update Row step error?

Userlevel 1
Badge

@VistaJordan

Are you able to provide screenshots of the GSheets Update Row step error?

Hi @Troy Tessalone,

Sorry, I was just experimenting with the zap as it managed to complete but ended up pasting the data into the wrong column. I’ve attached a screenshot below showing the full zap. the aim is to be able to switch the task status in asana and have the task progress updated in asana. So the zap needs to be able to turn tasks from not started into in progress and vise versa. 

I was originally using the task owners name as the identifier but I noted if they submit multiple requests it will not be able to distinguish between so I think using the time submission code would be better, now it’s unable to find the data again. Sorry for being a pain and I appreciate the help. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

@Troy Tessalone Seems like the forum really does not like me attaching images.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@VistaJordan 

I’d suggest using the Asana Task ID (which will be a unique value) instead of the Asana Task Created At value, as timestamps can be tricky to work with.

Looks like there is an extra static “id” value that should be removed before the dynamically mapped Row ID.

Userlevel 1
Badge

@Troy Tessalone,

Whoops, removed the additional ID in the update action. As for the lookup, I switched it to the exclusive Asana ID for each task as recommended and made sure the ID in the sheet column matched and it’s still not able to find the correct row. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@VistaJordan 

Does the GSheet has the Asana Task IDs populated for each row to use as part of the GSheet Lookup Row step in the Zap?

Userlevel 1
Badge

Did a bit more tweaking and got it to work.. sort of. It edited the correct row just not the correct column and secondly it seems that when it’s checking the ID of different tasks (with different codes to the test ID) it’s not finding them as it’s using the test ID’s code?

Userlevel 1
Badge

@Troy Tessalone

The tasks that I am testing the zap against do and any future tasks will too. i forgot to tag you but I posted above showing that it seems to be using the test triggers ID when checking the list so when I altar a different task on asana (which has its ID listed in google sheets) it doesn’t seem to find it as it’s still looking for the test triggers ID. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@VistaJordan 

Here’s an article about how to change the test trigger data: https://zapier.com/help/create/basics/change-the-test-data-in-your-zap-trigger

Userlevel 1
Badge

@Troy Tessalone,

Thanks but i don’t think that's the issue. I’ve changed the test data to another set but the issue persists, when the trigger activates it seems to be exclusively searching for the test trigger data ID as opposed to the actual trigger data ID which is what is being flagged in the history. 

I can confirm this as I am able to freely change the status of the test trigger but when I try changing any other task status it errors out and unable to find the ID code. 

So its nearly there just a few more kinks.. It is also pasting the new updated data in the wrong column, right row though

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@VistaJordan 

If data is being pasted in the wrong column, then I suggest refreshing the fields (use Refresh Fields button at the bottom of the Zap step) from the GSheet and checking the mappings of the data points in the Zap step.

Also, if you’re using the Asana Task ID for the Lookup values, not sure you’d need a supporting lookup value.

Perhaps, with all the changes you’ve made, you can post updated screenshots of how each Zap step is currently configured, as that tends to be more telling then trying to describe the configuration in writing.

If you still need help, consider opening a ticket with Zapier Support here: https://zapier.com/app/get-help

Userlevel 1
Badge

@Troy Tessalone 

I’ve manged to get it working for the most part. the data is pasting in the correct column and it’s identifying the ID’s correctly. 

The only thing I need to figure out now is how to include the other status states. Right now the zap can identify a not-started task and change its status. whereas in the future we might want a task that has the in progress status changed to rejected or completed. Here is the current zap (I had to write in ‘Not started’ as the lookup as the asana value did not work as it tried to reference what was changed rather than the current status) 

If I wanted to bodge a solution I could just create a few more identical zaps each with its own unique progress lookup value and that should solve it but it seems like bad practise. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@VistaJordan 

These Asana Zap triggers are available...

You may need separate Zaps to handle the different use cases.

You may need to use a Filter as Step 2 in your Zap: https://zapier.com/apps/filter/help

Userlevel 1
Badge

@Troy Tessalone 

Thanks, you’ve been a great help, With some more editing and a few additional Zaps its now running as needed.

Thanks again! 

@Troy Tessalone

Thanks, you’ve been a great help, With some more editing and a few additional Zaps its now running as needed.

Thanks again! 

Hi @VistaJordan could you please share the details here how you solve this problem? I currently having same problems like you