Question

Update Notion CRM database to enrich contacts (via Clearbit?)

Hey all. We use Notion as a lightweight CRM. We have a database of companies (connected to databases of people, projects, and meeting notes). I'd like to enrich the items in the Companies DB, I'm thinking via Clearbit.

Both are on Zapier, but it seems like 1. I only get company name, URL, and logo via Zapier/Clearbit, and 2. I can't update most fields in the Notion DB.

So, does anyone have a better way to do this?

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @leefuhr! I’m glad that you were able to find some of the fields that you need though I’m sorry that you can’t get all of them. If there are specific fields that you’d like to see, the best thing to do in this case is to reach out to the Zapier Support Team to let them know which ones you can’t see and they’ll be able to create a feature request to add them. You can contact them using the Get Help Form and make sure that you mention which trigger and action you’re using. 

As for your separate question, we do have Transfer by Zapier, which lets you send existing data to a Zap. Currently, Transfer only supports certain apps but add new apps all the time. Again, if you’d like to see a certain one added, let the Support Team know when you get in touch with them. 

What kind of information are you looking to add to Notion that you can’t find in Clearbit? Perhaps we can think of a different app that might do the trick.

Here’s what Clearbit returns for Zapier. I’d love to get all of this into custom fields I can set up to match in our “Companies” database in Notion:

Looking at some of the sample data that we have for Notion it looks like you should be able to update the properties of a database item. Do you want to update fields that aren’t properties? Or can you not see all of the properties that you want to update when your setting up the Update Database Item step in your Zap? 

Ah on second glance I see now that custom fields — many but not all — do in fact show up in Zapier. I wanted to set the page icon to the company logo (so it shows up when we reference this database item elsewhere in Notion), but that doesn’t seem accessible in Zapier. I tried then setting up a Files & Media custom field in Zapier to plop the logo from Zapier, but that didn’t show in Zapier. So now I have the logo URL added to a URL field in Notion. Not great but it’s something.

So my problem seems to primarily be not having sufficient access to what’s in Clearbit…

Totally separate question, but does Zapier still not provide a way to go back and run a new zap against existing entries? It seems like such a common need!

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

HI @leefuhr!

What kind of information are you looking to add to Notion that you can’t find in Clearbit? Perhaps we can think of a different app that might do the trick.

Looking at some of the sample data that we have for Notion it looks like you should be able to update the properties of a database item. Do you want to update fields that aren’t properties? Or can you not see all of the properties that you want to update when your setting up the Update Database Item step in your Zap? 

I’d love to know what you’re trying to do in a bit more detail so we can hopefully help you out with this one.