Best answer

Update all matching overdue Google Tasks at midnight (change due date to today)

• 6 October 2020
  • 1 reply

Hi community,

One of the most frustrating things about Google Tasks is that it has no daily overview. They do show in calendar, but it’s very easy to forget about overdue ones, as the date remains in the past and there is no “overdue” section e.g. in the agenda view of Google calendar.

I’m trying to set up a zap to update all my overdue Google Tasks at midnight. Specifically, I’d like to change the due date to today and potentially update the name to prepend “[overdue]” or something similar. Scheduling something to run at midnight is easy with the Zapier Scheduler, however I can only update specific tasks. I’d like to match and update all tasks that are overdue.

Any help would be appreciated. Many thanks!

icon

Best answer by nicksimard 9 October 2020, 01:46

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi @silviu.oprea!

Looks like you’ve got a great conversation going with our Support team and they’re helping you out with this! If you have any further questions you can reply to that thread :)

Since they provided a thorough response, I’m going to share it here in case it can help someone else:

Zapier's Tasks and Calendar integrations aren't able to perform these kind of bulk lookups, to update multiple different tasks and events on a scheduled interval. But a different method might fit what you need.

Zapier's Google Calendar integration includes a trigger event for "Event Ended", which can start a workflow whenever an event ends. So you could use a Zap workflow like this:

1. Google Calendar: Event Ended — this trigger event can watch for events that match specific keywords, like having "Google Tasks" in the event description. Whenever a matching event ends, it will be sent to your Zap to start this workflow.

2. Google Tasks: Find Task — this step can search through Google Tasks based on the *title* of the task. So this will work best if the Task and the Event have the same, unique title.

3. Google Tasks: Update Task — this can update the task that was just found, and change the due date. This could use something like the Calendar event Start Time +1d — https://zapier.com/help/create/customize/adjust-date-and-time-values-in-zaps

Click here to create this Zap

^ This kind of Zap workflow would be able to see when certain kinds of Calendar events end, then find the corresponding task in Google Tasks, and change the due date of that task.