Question

Update Airtable records with photos from CompanyCam

• 16 November 2021
  • 14 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I’d like to be able to use the New Photo Trigger in Company Cam to Find a Record in Airtable, then add photos to an Attachment field in the Found Record. My goal is to populate individual projects within our Project Manager with all the photos taken at a that jobsite.

The Location names within CompanyCam are already being created by a Zap from Airtable to CompanyCam, so I know that the titles match.

Is this possible?

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

14 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@mannyv86 

Yes, in theory this should be possible. I believe you should get the url to the photo from the trigger which should be passed to the attachment field when updating the airtable record.

Trigger: New Photo Trigger CompanyCam

Action: Find Record in Airtable
Action: Update Record in Airtable

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

@mannyv86 

Yes, in theory this should be possible.

Trigger: New Photo Trigger CompanyCam

Action: Find Record in Airtable
Action: Update Record in Airtable

Thanks for your quick response! I’ve gotten this far, but when it comes to the required ‘Record’ field, it makes me select one of five random strings of letters and numbers. Shouldn’t the Record it takes action on be the one that it found in the previous step?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @mannyv86 

You’ll need to map the found Record ID from Step 2 to Step 3 using the ‘custom’ mapping option.

Check out this help article: https://zapier.com/help/create/basics/set-up-your-zap-action#set-up-your-action

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Yep! Exactly! You’ll just use the custom input option to map the id from step 2 to step 3

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Got it working last night, thank you both for your help! :man_dancing_tone2:

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

So, after letting the zap run today, it will only post the most recent photo to the Attachment field in Airtable. How do I keep all the photos as they are uploaded?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@mannyv86 

Try this...from the Airtable Find Record step, map the new file, then map the existing Files back to the same field separated by a comma.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I’m not quite sure what you mean here; how do I map the existing files back to the same field?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@mannyv86 

Map the returned data point for the Files field back to the same field in the Update Record step plus comma separate the new file you are trying to upload

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Great; got it to work when the Location already exists in Airtable!

I have the ‘Create Airtable Record if it doesn’t exist yet?’ checked, but when I try to send a photo from a job location that doesn’t exist yet, I get the following error:

There was an error with Airtable: The app returned `{"message":"You must provide either \"Search by field\" AND \"Search value\" or \"Search Formula\"."} What happened: Executing searches.findRecord.operation.perform with bundle {"message":"You must provide either \"Search by field\" AND \"Search value\" or \"Search Formula\"."} Console logs: ` as error, which we cannot read.

I’d like to create a New Record in Airtable with the Title of the CompanyCam folder, adding the photos as it does for the previously created locations.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@mannyv86 

Please post screenshots with how your Zap step is configured.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Step 1 - Trigger - New Photo in CompanyCam

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@mannyv86 

As part of the Find/Create step you need to provide at least 1 field in order to create the new record first before the record is updated.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

There we go! Thanks Troy, got it working completely now.