Best answer

Unable to create new Jira issue with formatted description

• 20 August 2021
  • 12 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

I am creating a new Jira issue from an O365 email.  For the Description field I am using the Email body which has HTML Tags.  Here is my experience:

Pass HTML email body direct to the Jira Description All HTML markup is visible (very messy)
Use Text formatter to remove HTML Tags Looks great in Zapier, but in the Jira the new lines are removed.  Everything appears on one line!
User formatter to replace new lines with either \\ or \n, (trying both markdown and standard formatting values), Either \\ or \n is visible in the description, all on one line again!
Use Text formatter to convert the HTML to markdown The description is created with all Markdown visible.

It looks like Jira is trying to do some form of predictive formatting, as some email bodies (stripped of HTML) used to create the Jira description do show up with line breaks, but these breaks have big spaces (multiple empty lines added for every new line), which is almost as bad.  If I edit the description from within the Jira issue, just touching the text causes the whole field to collapse down to one line again.

Has anyone else encountered this and is there a workaround?  

icon

Best answer by SamB 4 January 2024, 14:38

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hey @AshleyMorris!

I’ve been looking into this and it seems that the Jira Software Cloud integration is only able to send the descriptions across in plain text. As you’ve discovered, any HTML or Markdown formatting on Zapier's side is not rendered in Jira correctly. We have a couple existing feature requests for the ability to use HTML and Markdown formatting when creating new Jira issues so I’ve added your votes for those. 

I really wish I had a workaround to suggest here but it seems that there isn’t one at present. I can’t give an ETA on when either of those feature requests will be implemented but we will reach out to you by email as soon as they are! :)

Please add my vote and a vote for each person who work in my company too :D

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Thanks for reaching out, @Manuel Puerto! I’ve added your vote and we’ll be sure to keep you and this thread updated as soon as we know more. While we can’t track your coworkers votes, hopefully you can keep them updated for us. 🙂

Userlevel 1

We recently transitioned from Jira Server to Cloud. We use Zapier to create a service request based on Google Sheet responses. It does not appear there is any html/markdown formatting that will work to push to the Jira ticket. Everything appears to be pushed to Jira in plain text. 

The answer is that “it seems that the Jira Software Cloud integration is only able to send the descriptions across in plain text. As you’ve discovered, any HTML or Markdown formatting on Zapier's side is not rendered in Jira correctly. We have a couple existing feature requests for the ability to use HTML and Markdown formatting when creating new Jira issues so I’ve added your votes for those. “

Is this still the case? Has there been any updates on this limitation? Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hey there @d2iqIT! Thanks for reaching out. I went ahead and moved your question into the original topic.

Sad to say this is still an open feature request though. 😔 That said, I did add your vote to this! This will ensure you’re emailed if and when this gets implemented. We’ll also keep this topic updated once we know more.

Thanks for raising this in community and we’ll be sure to share once we have an update! 🙂

Userlevel 3

@christina.d can you add my vote to this topic as well / include me on the list of folks to be emailed whenever this is resolved? Thanks!

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

Hi @mary_rockerbox 

I’ve added your vote for this feature request, and we’ll notify you via email once an update is available. Thank you!

@jammer.solijon can you add my vote to this topic and include me on the list of folks to be emailed whenever this is resolved? Thanks!

Hi all!

It seems Jira took a stance on this issue more than a year ago, and it falls upon Zapier to fix the way API is being used.

Can you please explain what API version Zapier is using? wikimarkup doesn’t seem to work so maybe you’re on v3, so using ADF? In which case, how can we send formatted text?

All the best,

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

Hi @Hoium 

I’ve added your vote for this feature request, and we’ll notify you via email once an update is available. Thank you!

@jammer.solijon @christina.d can you please address my questions above?

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi folks! 

Just popping by with a quick update to share that the feature request to allow markdown formatting on issue description fields has now been implemented. 😁🎉

If you missed the email notification that was sent out here’s the key details from that email:

“We have made the proper changes to support formatting. This means you can use the official Wiki Markup format that Atlassian supports, review how to use it here!

There’s nothing you need to do to take advantage of this fix for your current Zaps, but if there were some Zaps you were holding off on making with this actions, now you can get off to the races!”

If you run into any trouble in using wiki markup formatting in your Jira issue descriptions please let us know. In the meantime, happy Zapping! ⚡