Best answer

Trying to connect Wordpress to Zapier, getting an "Error parsing response" error

Userlevel 3

Hi, I’m trying to connect Wordpress to Zapier. I’ve installed and activated the Zapier plugin to wordpress. I go to log in to my Wordpress on Zapier, and I get the following error:

We hit an error adding your new account

authentication failed: Error parsing response. We got: "<!DOCTYPE html> <html style="height:100%"> <head> <meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width,"

1. Make sure you click "Allow" or "Accept" on the permission popup
  2. Double check your Account has the correct permissions
  3. Check out our help docs for more information

What can I do to fix this?

Thanks

icon

Best answer by christina.d 24 August 2022, 00:59

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

163 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

MOD NOTE (5/13/2021)

As one of our astute Community members pointed out in a reply, changing permalinks should be approached with caution and consideration. The suggestion is offered as one thing that others have found to solve their problem. WP Explorer has a guide to changing permalinks without breaking your WordPress site.

Hi @Wahwah!

The error you shared usually pops up when a bad plugin was installed. For more information, take a look here: https://zapier.com/help/doc/common-problems-wordpress.

The best option is to disable recent plugins to see if you can get things to work. If that doesn’t help there’s something else you can try. Apparently the permalinks can sometimes cause trouble. To fix, switch the format to one other than the default:

6f92d197bd7f8d7dbfddfa13138be2b0.png
(view larger)

In your case, @jphorn, that error message does appear to match one that’s come up recently with a few users. We’ve got an issue logged on our end, and I have added you as an affected user. That way, when it’s solved you’ll receive an email notification. To be absolutely sure that it’s the same issue, your best bet will be to contact our Support team here, as they’ll be able to dig into your account and detailed logs to see if everything lines up.

Userlevel 1

Same over here, please add me to the list.

Hey @Supervision , jumping in here from Zapier support, it looks like this error is different from the original errors, which start with:

‘Error parsing response. We got: "<!doctype html> <html lang="en"> <head > <script>’. 

That said, for transparency I did want to call out that you are absolutely correct, and if others out there are having the specific error stating that the Zapier Wordpress Plugin is not activated, like shown here:

(view larger)

And you’ve already confirmed the plugin is both installed and activated, then a quick and usually easy fix is to ensure that when entering the URL for your Wordpress site, you’re including both https:// and www, ie like you mentioned: https://www.example.com

Thanks for pointing that out so that others can benefit while our team continues to work on fixing the error messages! 

Userlevel 1

I had this error. It got fixed by changing the Permalinks structure in WordPress.

Userlevel 2

Like many of the users, I’m also running into the same issue. After reading through this thread -- I have a few comments.

1 - Given that WordPress powers almost 40% of all Websites, logic would tell me that Zapier would make it a priority to take all steps necessary to fully integrated with the latest versions of WordPress and keep its official plugin fully updated and supported.

2 - This issue is over 8 months old. It’s obvious there is a serious problem with the Zapier Plugin.

3 - The official WordPress Zapier plugin has not been updated in over 7 months.

4 - Users are having many issues getting the Official plugin to work. So many, in fact, the plugin has a 2 star ranking on Wordpress.com. Despite users reporting issue after issue, there is Zero response from Zapier.

5 - Support that is being offered is abysmal. Advising us to “change our permalink structure” is… a terrible idea. It will instantly break all URLs and make Google very unhappy. Most of us know this but, for new users, it could really screw up their websites.

6 - Providing updates using words the words “likely,” “hopefully,” and “backlog” does not inspire confidence. Actually, it does the opposite. What I read is, we’ve known about this issue for 8 months and have no solid plans on how or when we will help our customers.

The above facts lead me to believe the following: 

A - Zapier is having serious issues inside its business. (Financial, Engineering, Leadership, etc...)

B - The Zapier WordPress plugin has been abandoned.

C - Zapier customers should find a different product to meet their WordPress Automation/Integration needs.

All in all, very disappointing. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hey all! Ya’ll ready for some good news?

….🥁

This longstanding bug is OFFICIALLY closed. 🎉

That being said, the team has a few asks. If you are still running into 403 Authentication Errors we’d highly recommend checking out some of these common issues with Wordpress that could be the culprit.

If you’re needing help with this or are still hitting errors after trying those troubleshooting steps, please feel free to open a ticket with my friends in support. Some things our team will likely be asking for are:

• A list of installed plug-ins on your site
  • The hosting service you use for your WordPress site

Full transparency, Wordpress can be a doozy to troubleshoot. So if the above referenced docs don’t do the trick, while we may not be able to provide an immediate solution having those details readily available for our support team will help immensely with spotting patterns. 

Thank you for your ongoing patience as the team worked on this and happy zapping! ⚡️

Userlevel 1

For me the problem was caused by the Wordfence plugin. I disabled Wordfence on my website, activated the Zapier integration and afterwards enabled the Wordfence plugin again. It now works

Yes, this solved my problem too. 

Userlevel 1

Is there a fix for this yet? Looks like this is at least 6 months old at this point. 

Userlevel 1

Wait a moment, I just added the service (www) and IT WORKED for me! :sunglasses:

so instead of https://example.com type

https://www.example.com!

Cheers,
Supervison

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

@SteveFree I wanted to thank you for the post you wrote, especially the part about changing permalinks. You’re correct that offering that as a solution without mentioning the risks/considerations was not the best choice on my part.

I’ve added a note to that reply including a link to an article explaining permalinks and how to change them without breaking one’s website. 

Userlevel 1

I am receiving the “authentication failed: The Zapier WordPress plugin has not been activated on this WordPress site. Please install and activate it first: https://zapier.com/help/doc/how-get-started-wordpress-zapier.”

Its a bit ridiculous that they have acknowledged this is an issue and yet aren’t fixing it as a priority… It’s a pretty significant bug.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi - @Miriamros from the error message that you shared it looks like you’re running into the same issue as others on this post. I’ve added you as an affected user on the issue so you’ll get an email from us when it’s resolved. 

@betsyladyzhets I’ve also added you as an affected user. If you haven’t already checked it out, it would also be worth taking a look at the Wordpress Common Problems help guide to double-check that there’s not something there that will help: https://zapier.com/help/doc/common-problems-wordpress

Userlevel 1

For me the problem was caused by the Wordfence plugin. I disabled Wordfence, activated the Zapier integration and afterwards enabled the Wordfence plugin again. It now works

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hey @PlanMen, thanks for sharing what worked for you! It always helps having another way to try and troubleshoot. Glad to hear you have it working again! 🙂

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi @adriennef and @ovejaenlaciudad - I’ve added your upvotes to this bug report. Should we have an update on the status, you’ll be contacted directly via email. Thanks!

Userlevel 1

I don’t know if this will be helpful to anyone else, but I was getting the authentication failed: Error parsing response and found that deactivating the Bluehost plugins (Bluehost and Bluehost website builder) seemed to make it work (at least it works now for me). This will only be relevant if Bluehost is where you are hosting your site though (but maybe there is an equivalent designer plugin interfering?).

Hopefully this might help someone!

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

I’m so sorry to hear that @matt0913 :(

I’ve added you to the list of affected users so we’ll email you the moment this issue has been sorted. :)

Userlevel 1

Same error as others have noted above….can you please add me to list of impacted users?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hey folks! Our product and engineering teams wanted to update this thread to say:

Investigating and ultimately fixing this bug is likely to be added to our integrations team’s roadmap. Hopefully, we will be able to do finish both very soon.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi @dmrmw ,

Sorry you are encountering an error. I see you have a ticket in with our Support team which is great as they will be able to look at your specific Zap and troubleshoot your specific issue!

Userlevel 1

Hi!,

Here the same issue, I see in the console that the issue is on https://zapier.com/api/v3/auths/{id-app}/test

I need connect this with wordpress and cvent, cvent connect successfully but wordpress do not :sob:

Userlevel 1

We hit an error adding your new account

authentication failed: Error parsing response. We got: "<!DOCTYPE html> <!--[if IE 6]> <html id="ie6" lang="en-US"> <![endif]--> <!--[if IE 7]> <html id="ie"

1. Make sure you click "Allow" or "Accept" on the permission popup
  2. Double check your Account has the correct permissions
  3. Check out our help docs for more information

Can’t connect to Wordpress - Any ideas? So far my Zapier experience is “...looks fanzy, can do nothing!” 

STEP 1: Make sure you click "Allow" or "Accept" on the permission popup

THIS CONFIGURES NO WHERE. NO POP UP, NO NOTIFICATION.

Userlevel 1

Hi, mine was above.

What I’ve done that’s fixed it *so far* is  I removed all the zaps and connections from zapier.

Then started again from scratch.

This seems to have solved it for now… Will let you know if there are any further issues.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Hi all,

Our apologies for the delay in taking care of this long-standing issue. 

I’ve just spoken with the team and we’ll have our engineers look into it in the next 1-2 weeks and provide an update here with either a fix or further details.

Thank you for the detailed input and showing how much this matters to you!

~ Lars, product manager on our integrations team

Userlevel 1

@clickclickclick @clickclickclick (not sure why there are two users with the exact same name but I’m tagging both to make sure): I’d say since your error message seems to be different than the one reported by the original poster that your best bet is to reach out to our Support team and/or create a new topic in Community. 

It’s the same user ;) 

I've tried on different accounts also, with new zaps and different Wordpress accounts.

My login credentials are accurate - something has possibly changed with new wordpress/woocommerce updates - and zapier hasn’t kept up.

I have reached out to support. It is still an authentication error which others are also having.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Thanks for letting us know, @Reviewer Review. We’ve added you to the list of affected users too. We’ll email as soon as we have an update!