Question

Trigger zaps in an order

• 28 December 2020
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 1

Hello,

I wanted to know if it is possible to trigger different zaps in a specific order. Each Zap has a different trigger. 

Currently I have 3 different zaps. I would like the second one to be triggered after the first one, and the third one after the second one. 

I couldn't find the answer by searching the community.

Thanks !

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Hey @hugo_pkp,

can you describe this in more detail? I think you need to have some sort of connections between the three steps. Do you just want the 2 to start when the 1 finished and so on?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

If you want to daisy chain together apps, look into using Webhooks: https://zapier.com/apps/webhook/integrations#triggers-and-actions

A step in Zap 1 would have a Webhooks action step that triggers the webhook trigger for Zap 2, and so on.

This is a bit more technical so let us know if you have questions after reviewing the help articles.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi @hugo_pkp!

There are various reasons why it’s difficult to 100% guarantee the order in which Zaps will run. As @Troy Tessalone points out, the surest way to do that is to literally trigger the Zaps in succession like this:

Zap 1

Trigger: Whatever
Action: The thing you want
Action: Webhooks - trigger Zap 2

Zap 2

Trigger: Webhooks - Catch Hook
Action: Webhooks - trigger Zap 3

Zap 3

Trigger: Webhooks - Catch Hook
Action: Webhooks - trigger Zap 3

You could also look into adding delays if each of the actions can be triggered by a single thing. Like if you want to add a new row to a spreadsheet and perform 3 actions (but they have to be in a specific order) you could try:

Trigger: Whatever
Action: The 1st thing you want
Action: Delay (for 3 minutes, for example)
Action: The 2nd thing you want
Action: Delay for 3 minutes, for example)
Action: The 3rd thing you want

Three minutes is quite a long time, but you get the idea. Adding delays means that, except for cases where errors and autoreplays might occur, the 3rd thing you want to do shouldn’t be able to run before the 1st and 2nd.

Hope that helps!

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

@hugo_pkp 
Just checking in to see if you still need help with this?