Best answer

There was an error writing to your Google sheet. How do I fix?

• 25 March 2020
  • 8 replies

Hi there,

I’m having an issue with my zapier writing to my google sheets. My logic goes as follows:

Trigger: New contact in list

Lookup: Lookup that contact in a google spreadsheet

Action: Update spreadsheet row

The error message I am getting is “There was an error writing to your Google sheet.” and when I followed the steps to resolve it, it did not prevail. The prognosis is that I had made changes to the spreadsheet during the setup. However, I do not believe that to be the issue because I have not made any changes at all.

Could there be another reason why I am getting this error?

icon

Best answer by Liz_Roberts 30 March 2020, 20:59

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi @Jobble ,

Thanks for reaching out- sorry you are running into this error! It looks like you and Virgil in Support were able to find a resolution.

Posting below so other folks who may encounter the same issue can reference in the future!

“I have another user who saw fields disappearing/clearing after making a selection around the same time you did.

I was not able to replicate their issue, which led me to believe it was a browser issue.

Fortunately, the issue seemed to pass on its own and their fields started staying again. I took a look at your Zap, and I was able to select your Drive in your Zap.”

Please let us know if you are encountering any additional issues or have any questions! Happy to help! 

The spreadsheet row could not be sent to Google Sheets.

There was an error writing to your Google sheet.

I don’t understand why I’m getting this message, it appears I have everything set up properly. Is there a Google Sheets setting that is preventing Zapier from writing to the sheet?

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi @Travis,

Thanks for reaching out- sorry you are running into these errors with your Google Sheet Zap!

The error with writing to a Google Sheet could be due to a change to the sheet after it was initially selected for your Zap.  (For example, if the name of the spreadsheet or a tab (worksheet) of the spreadsheet changed.) If that is the case, you can try the below steps:

1. Edit your Google Sheets action
  2. Open the Spreadsheet field to force Zapier to get the latest names of your spreadsheets and re-select the spreadsheet you want to use.
  3. Open the Worksheet field to get the latest names of the tabs of the selected spreadsheet and re-select the worksheet you want to use.
  4. Re-test your action

Let us know if that does the trick but if you are still running into errors, we can definitely dig deeper!

Thanks Jesse, that's not the issue. I created a brand new spreadsheet and a new zap supposed to write to it, and it still doesn't work.

Please let me know if you have any other ideas or what further information you need.

Userlevel 1

I’m having this same issue, Tried all the recommended troubleshooting and still not connecting. I can look up a row, but I can’t write to a row. I’ve spent about 4 hours now. I’ve decided to use Automate.io instead. Bummer you guys don’t have basic google sheets functionality working. 

I’m having this same issue, Tried all the recommended troubleshooting and still not connecting. I can look up a row, but I can’t write to a row. I’ve spent about 4 hours now. I’ve decided to use Automate.io instead. Bummer you guys don’t have basic google sheets functionality working. 

Yes, that is too bad. Too bad they assume we can’t follow simple directions as well since everything Liz suggested was already in the help section. Thanks for the heads up on Automate.io Harmony, I’ll definitely check it out since Zapier apparently can’t help me.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @Travis and @Harmony Park! I’m really sorry that you had a bad experience trying to write to a Google Sheet with Zapier. 

If you’re willing to give us another try, I’d recommend contacting the Support Team as they will be able to take a look at the specific Zap that you’re having an issue with and can also walk through troubleshooting steps with you in more detail. You can get in touch with them here: Get help

When using the Look Up Spreadsheet row in a Zap, make sure in the Action step you’re selecting the “Row: #” as the lookup value.