Best answer

Take action in Zendesk for ticket updates in New Relic

• 18 January 2022
  • 7 replies

Hi All,

Trying to create an integration between New Relic and Zendesk. 

Added them as application, tested the connection, they are good. 

I wanna use New Relic as trigger to take action on Zendesk and do below-listed actions:

• Create a ticket or Update a ticket (if it exists) on Zendesk
  • Close a ticket on Zendesk if it gets resolved on New Relic

Has anyone created this Zap? Could you please share it with me? 

Thanks

icon

Best answer by Troy Tessalone 18 January 2022, 15:47

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @michael_n 

New Relic has 1 available Zap trigger:

Check out the available Zendesk actions: https://zapier.com/apps/zendesk/integrations#triggers-and-actions

Hi @Troy Tessalone , yeap I've seen and tried that, but couldn't put the necessary steps and conditions together to create complete Zap to cover all the actions really

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@michael_n

Try these Zap steps

1. Trigger: New Relic - New Alert or Deployment
  2. Action: Filter (TBD if you need this step)
  3. Action: Zendesk - Find/Create Ticket
  4. Action: Filter (only proceed if existing ticket is found)
  5. Action: Zendesk - Update Ticket

Thanks @Troy Tessalone, it started making more sense. 

I still couldn't figure out one thing. Do you know how to create variables from incoming data? I mean, when a new alert comes from new relic as a trigger, it sends YAML like data

metadata:

entity.type: HOST

entity.name: 1tatooesn000000

evaluation_system_source: Willamette

closed_violations_count:

critical:3

warning:0

……

duration: 1847905

incident_id: 29428161

event_type: INCIDENT

……

My question is that, how can I capture the value of incident_id dymanically every time a new alert comes in? 

I tried Formatter > Text > Split Text > by using separator. But it is kind of capturing value of the sample incident_id statically. 

If I can get the value dynamically, I can add it to Zendesk ticket as tag and search the value dynamically again to be able to update the correct ticket every time when new update comes in. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@michael_n 

The Formatter > Text > Split would parse data dynamically depending on how you have the logic configured.

You may need 2 Formatter steps.

First split by “incident_id: “ and keep the last segment.

Then split by “event_type:“ and keep the first segment.

OR 1 Code step can be used: https://zapier.com/apps/code/help

Thank you so much @Troy Tessalone. I have figured it out with your help,

I simply captured unique New Relic Incident ID on second step. Added it to tags of Zendesk ticket while creating it on 3rd step or found it by searching it. If it exists, I update the ticket with new incoming/changed data from New Relic (assignee, acknowledged, current state etc.) by checking New Relic incident's current state (if it is still open, in progress etc. rather than closed). If it is closed, I'm again updating the Zendesk Ticket and marking it as Closed. 

Hope someone else gets benefit from this too. Thanks. 

Thank you so much @Troy Tessalone. I have figured it out with your help,

I simply captured unique New Relic Incident ID on second step. Added it to tags of Zendesk ticket while creating it on 3rd step or found it by searching it. If it exists, I update the ticket with new incoming/changed data from New Relic (assignee, acknowledged, current state etc.) by checking New Relic incident's current state (if it is still open, in progress etc. rather than closed). If it is closed, I'm again updating the Zendesk Ticket and marking it as Closed. 

Hope someone else gets benefit from this too. Thanks. 

Hi,

I’m interested to know how are you updating the Zendesk ticket as I’m not able to find a way to select the ticket that I wish to update. Steps in my ZAP are exactly the same as up to Action no. 3 of yours. It searches Zendesk ticket based on value of a ticket tag. If ticket is not found Zap goes ahead and creates a ticket. But in case tag is found in a ticket, It goes to next Action. This Action is similar to Action 5.a (Update ticket), but there I do not get any way select/specify the ticket that Action should update basis previous Action. Kindly help on what am I missing here.

Thanks