Best answer

Staging zapped content on Webflow

• 20 May 2020
  • 3 replies

How do people go about QA’ing zapped content on a staging site before publishing it to your live site (via Webflow)?

Before connecting a number of zaps to my Webflow CMS, I could preview new code & content on my example.webflow.io site before pushing to my custom URL.

Now with Zapier set up, if I push anything to example.webflow.io without doing the same to my customer URL, I get the following error:

“To directly publish CMS items, your staging and public-facing Collections must be consistent, so be sure to publish to all domains.”

Is there a solution to this? The best alternatives I can think of are either:

(a) only being able to preview new content/code in the Webflow editor/designer (not ideal when looping in others to do QA)

(b) have zaps save everything as a draft, then go to webflow and convert those drafts to be published, and then publish only the staging site to do QA before then publishing to custom URL

Neither seems like a great option...

icon

Best answer by alavery2 6 July 2020, 18:36

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

3 replies

Hi @Liz_Roberts, the solution was to change my zaps from Update Live Item to Update Item. From there, I can publish to my webflow.io site and review before publishing to my main site. This solution works for now. I am not sure if it will continue to work when I have zaps that need to update live.

Thanks for reaching back out!

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi @alavery2 ,

Just circling back to see if either of the above solutions you mentioned did the trick here! Would love to know how you solved this!

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @alavery2!

I can see that a couple of our users have encountered this issue before, but unfortunately I don’t have an answer for the best way to solve it. It sounds like one of the two options that you’ve outlined would be best, though I can see how they’re not great options for you. 

Sorry that I can’t be more help!