Best answer

Square Payment Processing Fee field missing from new orders

Userlevel 1

My old Square / Wave Zap worked beautifully, but with the “new improved” Square trigger there is not a field for Processing Fee coming through. Is anyone else having this problem? I’ve reached out to support and they are “adding my vote” but it seems odd that this is a step backward. 

icon

Best answer by christina.d 18 November 2021, 01:47

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

23 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @christyprice 

For the time being, you may have to go with a more advanced approach and leverage the Square API: https://developer.squareup.com/reference/square

App APIs can be used in Webhook or Code steps in Zaps.

Webhooks: https://zapier.com/apps/webhook/integrations

Code: https://zapier.com/apps/code/help

Userlevel 1

Thanks Troy. I was just hoping that the “upgrade” would include the same basic features as before, so I’m disappointed. The API isn’t in my wheelhouse.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hey @christyprice!

I’m sorry that the new version of Square’s New Order trigger isn’t pulling through the processing fee information now. We’ll be sure to notify you by email as soon as it’s been added back in! 

As a workaround, is it possible to get email notifications sent to you, that contain the desired processing fee information, whenever there’s a new order? If so, you might be able to get around this by triggering your Zap on those email notifications instead using Email Parser.

We have a guide that talks about how to trigger Zaps from emails here: Trigger Zaps from new parsed emails

Hopefully that helps! :)

Userlevel 1

I am having the same issue, I would use the processing fee to create an expense in quickbooks and now it is causing a nightmare of data entry. I’m getting errors every few hours from a customers making a payment. It was working perfectly and I don't understand how that processing fee is not coming though when it seems like basic information.

Please help, I’d like an update and work around.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Thanks for reaching out and sharing your thoughts, @Wrap Bullys. I’m sorry to hear this! While we don’t have a definitive time frame to share, I’ve gone ahead and added your vote to this request as well. We’ll be sure to keep you and this thread updated as soon as we know more.

In the meantime, Sam posted a potential workaround in her post above that hopefully helps! I’ll post the important bits below:

As a workaround, is it possible to get email notifications sent to you, that contain the desired processing fee information, whenever there’s a new order? If so, you might be able to get around this by triggering your Zap on those email notifications instead using Email Parser.

We have a guide that talks about how to trigger Zaps from emails here: Trigger Zaps from new parsed emails

Userlevel 1

@christina.d Hello Christine. I wanted to share this email I received from square. They are basically saying they have nothing to do with this. Can you please elaborate on what they mean? To my understanding Square is responsible for the new version on your platform but the email says otherwise. 

FROM SQUARE

Hello,

After getting the case passed back and reviewed. Zapier is not a supported API that we can help with. It would be best to reach out to their support team to get a work around for the issue. You can also contact QuickBooks directly as they are partnered. Square integrates with Quickbooks Online, so you can manage your accounting in one place. Quickbooks Online allows you to automatically import your sales transactions. You can also bring in data from multiple locations into your Quickbooks Online account.

Check out Quickbooks Online and how it works with Square in their Quickbooks Online Support Website.

Best,

Square Customer Successservlet.ImageServer?oid=00DE0000000Y7ru&esid=0184W00000eSsuC&from=ext

ref:_00DE0Y7ru._5004W1ncMaW:ref

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hey @Wrap Bullys,

Often the app integrations on Zapier are built and managed by the app’s own developers. The Square integration however, happens to be one that Zapier’s own developers built and maintain. So while Square would be responsible for maintaining Square’s API (which the integration uses to connect to Square), they aren’t directly responsible for implementing changes to the Square app integration itself. 

I hope that helps to clarify. We’ll be sure to email you as soon as the feature request has been implemented! :)

This issue recently started for me too.

Can I receive an email when this is fixed too?

Userlevel 1

@smurphy @christyprice 

I just wanted to share a workaround for the time being that I did. In the section where you would usually input the “processing fee” I placed a fixed amount with same digits. Example $4.44. So my zap continues to work but I know that I have to go into the fee account and change it manually. It sucks because if I don’t do this regularly it’ll pile up but at least the transaction is recoded and all I have to change is the amount.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Welcome to the Community, @smurphy! :) 

I’ve added your vote to the feature request. You’ll be notified by email once it’s been sorted.

Thanks for sharing your workaround here, @Wrap Bullys! Glad to hear you’ve been able to implement a temporary solution in the meantime. :)

I am eagerly awaiting restoration of this feature as well.

Userlevel 1

@pstrength @SamB I just wanted you to know that I was waiting on this fix. And although zapier keeps saying that they add you to a specific email list and will let you know that they have fixed the issue…they don’t! Anyhow, I made a new zap from

scratch and I saw that the new square trigger is now pulling in the “processing fee” field. However you must know it’s only doing it if you’re creating an invoice and the customer pays the invoice. If you’re using a link where they pay online, for some reason it’s not populating name, email, processing fee, it’s like if it’s not one thing it’s another. And it’s frustrating because it worked perfectly fine a couple months ago. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi @pstrength and @Wrap Bullys,

Thanks for letting us know! @pstrength, I’ve added your vote to that feature request as well now. :)

@Wrap Bullys, the feature request for the New Order trigger is still marked as open so even though it’s showing the field in certain circumstances, it doesn’t appear to have been fully implemented yet. I can totally understand how frustrating this must be, especially as that field was coming through with the previous New Transaction trigger! For context, I believe there was a change in the version of the Square API being used which meant that the processing fee was not sent through in the same way with new version of the trigger (New Order). 

Once this feature request has been implemented you will definitely receive an email notification from us and we’ll update the thread here as well. :) 

It is working again for me!

Thank goodness…

@smurphy, are you using the “new order” trigger for Square in Zapier, or a different trigger? When I look, it still does not show a field for the processing fee.

Yes (New Order for Square).
I did recreate my ZAP at one point when trouble shooting but still couldn’t see it. However, it appeared later. I thought they updated the system.

Maybe it only updates for newly created ZAPs?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Apologies for the late update here!

You’re correct, @smurphy! I double checked and it does look like this bug report was closed and marked as resolved!

@pstrength, were you able to get the processing fee field to work for you? 

Yes. It works for me now. Thank you!

Yes, by creating a new Zap I was able to find a field for the processing fee again. Unfortunately it is reported in minor units (e.g. “200” = $2.00) whereas most of the reporting is in major units, but I was able to switch the overall price field to one that is reported in minor units such that they match and I believe it is working. I haven’t had a transaction come through yet since the change, so will let you know if there are further issues. Thank you!

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Awesome! Glad to hear it! Keep us posted if anything pops up. 🙂

Still not working for me. I even tried creating a new Zap, but still no field for processing fees. Sales are made through WooCommerce. No customer name data has being coming through either. 

Please add me to this list as well. 

I created a new zap to see if anything would come up, but nothing as far as processing fees.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Oh no, @thoroughscript and @Joey! I’m so sorry to hear that. Since this bug report was closed I’m wondering if it’s possible this is related to something else?

Would you both please open a ticket with our support team? They’ll be able to help review your logs and troubleshoot further with you!