Best answer

Square integration with Mailchimp - trying to setup custom logic by product ordered

• 13 January 2021
  • 1 reply

Hi everybody -

I am new to Zapier so I apologize ahead of time for the newbie question.

I have successfully connected my Square account to my Mailchimp account and successfully copied over a test transaction.

However, one data point that is very important to me is the product ordered at Square. I want to send custom emails based from Mailchimp based on which product they ordered. This seems like a fairly common situation. If they ordered a physical product, I want to thank them via email for doing so and send them shipping info. If they order a course, I want to provide them course details via email etc.

When I look to map the data coming from Square to fields in my mailchimp database, I see a Product field but all my recent transactions are “INVOICES” so I only see this one variant. That makes me think it could be more the source of the transaction rather than what was actually purchased.

Can someone who is familiar with the Square integration confirm that the Product field coming from Square is truly the actual product purchased, not the mechanism used to do so (i.e. INVOICES VS. ONLINE STORE, etc.)?

And I have a ton of products … even if the Product field is the correct field, how can I proactively make sure I’ve accounted for all Product types that may come over?

Is there a way to query for all the Products from my Square db (without getting into some wild API programming)?

Thanks in advance to everybody that replies.

Cheers,

Clive

icon

Best answer by Danvers 15 January 2021, 17:01

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @ironclive, welcome to the Community :) 

Let’s start with this question because it’s an important one:

Can someone who is familiar with the Square integration confirm that the Product field coming from Square is truly the actual product purchased, not the mechanism used to do so (i.e. INVOICES VS. ONLINE STORE, etc.)?

I’ve not used it personally, but if you’re using the New Transaction trigger then it will give you the products bought in the transaction. 

I think that the easiest way to do this will be to combine a Zap with a Mailchimp automation. With Mailchimp automation you can, for example, send an email to a subscriber when you add a tag to them. Here’s Mailchimp’s guide to using automation https://mailchimp.com/help/classic-automation-types/

If you’ll be adding more products as you go along, then I think that the best way to do this is to use a Google sheet to look up the product and find the information for Mailchimp. In this example I’m going to use the option to start an automation using a tag in Mailchimp, if you choose to trigger the automation by adding a subscriber to a particular list, etc, then it will look a bit different. 

Make a Google Sheet with the name of the Square product in one column and the name of the Mailchimp tag (or whatever information you want to use eg audience, list, etc) in the second column:

You would then set up a Zap like this:

1. Square:  New Transaction in Square
  2. Google Sheets: Lookup Spreadsheet Row - Use the product name to search the Google Sheet. The step will return all the informaiton from that row (ie the name of the tag)
  3. Mailchimp: Add subscriber to tag (use the tag found in the spreadsheet row. 

As you add more products, you would need to add them to the Google Sheet, along with the relevant information from Mailchimp.