Best answer

Slack new message trigger doesn't include attachment

• 27 January 2022
  • 15 replies

Hi there,

I’m trying to make an automation from a trigger New Message in Channel and I saw that the attachment is missing. I tried to use also Find Message, but it’s also missing there.

How can I get the attachment from a message in Slack?

icon

Best answer by christina.d 15 March 2023, 23:12

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

15 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @ginovski

Help article: https://zapier.com/help/doc/working-message-attachments-slack

Have you tried using this Zap trigger: Slack - New File

Hi,

The thing is that half of the messages have an attachment the other half don’t. Isn’t there a 1 thing I can use or I need to create 2 Zaps?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @ginovski 

Try changing the trigger test data: https://zapier.com/help/create/basics/change-the-test-data-in-your-zap-trigger

Perhaps you can post screenshots to provide more context about what you’re trying to configure with the Zap and the data you are working with.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

@ginovski you might also try searching within your Zap History to search for messages that posted without an attachment when you expected them to post with one to see if you can figure out what may be happening: https://zapier.com/help/manage/history/view-and-manage-your-zap-history

If you can find the “Zap Run” for the message in question, you should be able to double check there was an attachment and figure out why it may have been missed. If you’re still stumped after that, this may be a good one to take to our support team! https://zapier.com/app/get-help

This is the flow. We are using it to upload bugs to Airtable. When someone types “[message] #bug” in Slack we filter based on #bug and we create a new record in Airtable.

The thing is that sometimes messages include a screenshot, sometimes they don’t if there is nothing to be screenshot. I want if a screenshot is available to add the link to it in Airtable field in a single Zap.

Why attachments are not available together with the message info? I don’t get it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hey @ginovski

How are the images being added to the messages? For example, are the images being uploaded as attachments? Or is a URL to the image being added in the message itself?

The reason I ask is that there’s currently a bug report open for the Slack integration where we’re not seeing file data sent over for uploaded images, but we are able to see files that are embedded via a url in the message itself. So before adding you to that bug report I just wanted to double-check how those images are added.

Looking forward to your reply! :)

They are uploaded images.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Ah, thanks for clarifying that @ginovski.

As Sam mentioned, there is currently a bug in the Slack integration where we’re not seeing file data for uploaded files. However a possible workaround is embedding a url of the image in the body of the message! Are you able to give that try?

In the meantime, I’ve gone ahead and added you as an impacted user on that report. While I don’t have an estimate on when this will be fixed, we’ll be sure to email you and update the thread as soon as there is!

@christina.d Hey, I’m also experiencing this.. I’m triggering a zap based on a new Slack message that has images in the message but Zapier doesn’t fetch it. Would like to be added to the impacted users, thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Thanks for letting us know, @Daniel Ben-Amotz! I’ve gone ahead and added you to the list of impacted users. We’ll be in touch by email as soon as it’s been resolved. :relaxed:  

@SamB Hey, any update on this? Apparently Integromat have this ability so I believe it shouldn’t be too much of an issue to implement it in Zapier as well...

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Thanks for checking on this, @Daniel Ben-Amotz:slight_smile:

We don’t have any updates to share at the moment, unfortunately. I can’t really speak to the level of difficulty involved in making these changes but I do know that it’s not always a simple fix. And making changes can sometimes lead to unexpected issues that increase the time it takes to implement a solution.

We will be sure to email you and update the thread here as soon as we have any news though!

Same issue as this one. No update in 7-8 months. Need to be added to bug report.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

@SF_Zap All set! You’ve been added to the report. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Ah, thanks for clarifying that @ginovski.

... there is currently a bug in the Slack integration where we’re not seeing file data for uploaded files. However a possible workaround is embedding a url of the image in the body of the message...

Hey friends! 👋🏽I wanted to swing by with a belated update!

A fix has been launched and the “New Message Posted in Channel” trigger now includes attachment info for bot messages.🤖 🎉

The caveat being any attachment info from a human message will still require the workaround. My pals in docs created a tutorial for this though.

Thanks for your patience and happy zapping!⚡️