Best answer

Shopify sales and differents CDN sales taxes VS creating QBO sales receipt

• 24 April 2020
  • 2 replies

New on Zapier !

I’ve been working all afternoon to create my second Zap (had success with the first one!).

We are selling on Shopify in different province in Canada, with each their sales tax.

What do I have to do when created a Zap to make sure the Sales Receipt will be created properly (with proper tax VS province) in QBO ?

icon

Best answer by steph.n 2 June 2020, 08:10

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi @Patinelle ,

Thanks for reaching out and congrats on creating your first Zap!

I see that you are working with Support on this issue so I will let them take a look at your specific set up to better assist. Please do let us know if you have any additional questions at all!

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi there @Patinelle, it's nice to see that you were able to get in contact with Kaushi from Zapier Support. We think the solution you mentioned would be worth sharing to the rest of the community so here it is:

Thank you for the follow-up and I hope you had a good weekend! I can certainly guide you on how to set the tax codes dynamically.

Please note that to do this, your Zap will require an additional step, which makes it a multi-step Zap (i.e. more than 1 Action step). A multi-step Zap is a feature of our paid plans.

Now that the logistics are out of the way, let's go to how you can set the tax code dynamically 🙂.

1. Insert a step after the Trigger and select Formatter by Zapier > Utilities > Lookup Table (more about Formatter can be found at https://zapier.com/apps/formatter/help).
  2. What the look up table will do is as follows. It'll take the order's province/territory field and match its value to the corresponding tax code in QBO. So if the province is BC it'll return a tax code of 5, if it's Quebec it'll return a tax code of 21. More about setting the lookup table can be found here: https://zapier.com/help/create/format/create-lookup-tables-in-zaps
  3. Then instead of selecting a static tax code from the drop-down, you'll select the Custom value option in the "Create Sales Receipt" step, and you'll pass the output of the look up table (i.e. the tax code matching the province).

37a591c255a15860f313d8cf8a1e3f9e.png
    (view image larger)
  4. This ensures the tax code changes with the province/territory associated with each order. I've also noted the accepted format of the tax code (shown in grey numbers above).

Could you give these steps a try and let me know if you have follow-up questions? I'll keep an eye out for your response!