Question

Shared Drive (G Suite) URL ID not working in zap

• 4 January 2021
  • 21 replies

Userlevel 1

I understand there is a thread about entering the ID of a shared GSuite Drive (Team Drives). When I do so in a Google Sheet - Google Doc Zap, however, I get an error and the Zap says the ID is unrecognized. This is the full URL https://drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/0ANc4NG3iRUoPUk9PVA

I am entering 0ANc4NG3iRUoPUk9PVA in the custom line.

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

21 replies

Userlevel 1

@nicksimard - I am not sure what @Putty is specifically trying to do with their zap, but I can verify that for something I am working on, I am able to confirm that if you do a search on a google drive (Team Drive), that I am unable to get the map into the Template Document Field.

I am trying to build a doc via the Create Document from Template in Google docs, but if you use Google Drive there are no parameters to specify any custom fields you may have in the template doc with the formating of {{CompanyName}} for example.

I am unable to use ‘create doc from text’ because the doc needs to have formating for italic and bold in the letter being generated.

Ken

PS - I would also like to have a + vote added to the change being done in Google Doc From Template to support Team Drives.

Precisely, thank you

Userlevel 1

@nicksimard - I am not sure what @Putty is specifically trying to do with their zap, but I can verify that for something I am working on, I am able to confirm that if you do a search on a google drive (Team Drive), that I am unable to get the map into the Template Document Field.

I am trying to build a doc via the Create Document from Template in Google docs, but if you use Google Drive there are no parameters to specify any custom fields you may have in the template doc with the formating of {{CompanyName}} for example.

I am unable to use ‘create doc from text’ because the doc needs to have formating for italic and bold in the letter being generated.

Ken

PS - I would also like to have a + vote added to the change being done in Google Doc From Template to support Team Drives.

Userlevel 1

@Troy Tessalone @nicksimard 

I can vouch for the issue @markae1884 is having.

I had Zaps working perfectly fine with a folder that was normally shared to me (editing a folder I owned inside). However, our team switched to the GSuite Organization feature called “Shared drives” which is this area of Google Drive that @markae1884 is using.

When I try to set up the Zap with the new folder (that I own inside this Shared drive), Zapier is not able to access it. I have made the folder view access for all, I am the owner, I have a file in it, etc. I am an Admin of the org.

I think Zapier needs to add support for this. I believe the feature is fairly new. Many businesses will be, and are, using this.

Here are photos:

The old Shared folder is listed. The new “Shared drive” is not.
Thus, I manually input the folder ID, taken from the URL.
The error when trying to find a doc, and not make it.
The error when trying to make a doc when one cannot be found.

These help thread results do not work:

Again, I think Zapier needs to add support for this.

Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hey @NorCal, I’ve just added your vote to that feature request. We’ll email you with any updates! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hey @Putty!

You can use the Google Drive integration for finding files as well:

So until the Google Docs integration supports Team Drive, you should be able to use this as a workaround. I don’t have an ETA on when this might be added to Google Docs’ Find a Document action, unfortunately. I’ve added your vote for this feature request, so when it does get implemented you’ll be notified via email.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

FYI: Also, you can't trigger or act upon a folder shared with you, so files added to folders you don't own will not trigger the Zap. The connected account must be the owner.

Can you provide screenshots of how your Zap step is configured along with the error that is being returned?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Also, see this help article: https://zapier.com/help/doc/common-problems-google-sheets-zapier#triggering-on-new-updated-rows-in-a-sheet-on-another-team-drive

Userlevel 1

FYI: Also, you can't trigger or act upon a folder shared with you, so files added to folders you don't own will not trigger the Zap. The connected account must be the owner.

Can you provide screenshots of how your Zap step is configured along with the error that is being returned?

Thanks for your reply. My understanding is the nature of Team Drives is that anything inside them is subject to the permissions set on the Team Drive level. So a folder within a Team Drive, or the Drive itself, should be accessible to my whole team, who are all added to the Team Drive. Setting up the Zap, I’m using my Google Account, which has access to the Team Drive in question, and trying to get the new Google Doc to show up in a specific Team Drive, or a folder within. 

Here is a screenrecording. https://drive.google.com/file/d/12ItLB_2MbAyXzHmOhU82vhReV_uTfGxh/view

You’ll see the Team Drives show up for looking up the Google Sheet, but not when selecting a destination for the Google Doc.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Try this GDrive action: Crate File from Text

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi @Putty and @markae1884,

If you’re using the Google Docs integration it’s true that creating documents in team drives is not yet supported. Depending what you’re trying to do you could consider using Google Drive instead (like the Create File from Text action, for example).

You can see in my Zap that this is an option:

And it’s one of the drives that shared with me:

I’m not sure if your particular workflows would be able to take advantage of this workaround, but Team Drives are definitely supported in Google Drive.

We have an open feature request for adding Team Drive support in Google Docs and I have added both of you to it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @Putty 

Were you able to get this squared away based on the previous suggestions?

Please let us know, thanks.

Badge +4

Hi, @markae1884 Have you tried adding a Find Folder step?

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi @Putty!

I’m curious what it is about your use case that makes that Google Drive workaround not applicable. You had said…

I need to find an existing document with "Find a Document In Google Docs"

And I’d love to know what makes the Google Drive option not suitable :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi @PAFRSLLC!

Thanks for providing that extra context! I’ve added you to the feature request for supporting Team Drives in the Google Docs integration :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi @markae1884!

If you try Troy’s suggestion you should be able to navigate to the folder you need, then when you choose Custom you’ll end up with the correct ID in there. If you run into an error, see if the connected account is able to add files into the specified folder directly within Google Drive. For example, on the test account I’m using I get this:

But if you can do it in Team Drive, I believe you’ll be able to do it in a Zap by using Create File from Text.

Userlevel 1

Hi @Putty!

I’m curious what it is about your use case that makes that Google Drive workaround not applicable. You had said…

I need to find an existing document with "Find a Document In Google Docs"

And I’d love to know what makes the Google Drive option not suitable :)

I see. I will test the Google Drive option for finding a document.

However, there is no way to do the following with template documents and string replacement:

Userlevel 1

Hi @Putty 

Were you able to get this squared away based on the previous suggestions?

Please let us know, thanks.

Hello, no I wasn't. The suggestions above are not valid for my use case. There needs to be support added for this new drive area.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Putty Did you try the latest suggestion mentioned by @nicksimard?

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hey @Putty!

Do you mean that using the Google Drive integration you aren’t able to find what you would need to map into the Template Document field? Or am I misunderstanding?

Userlevel 1

Hi @Putty and @markae1884,

If you’re using the Google Docs integration it’s true that creating documents in team drives is not yet supported. Depending what you’re trying to do you could consider using Google Drive instead (like the Create File from Text action, for example).

You can see in my Zap that this is an option:

And it’s one of the drives that shared with me:

I’m not sure if your particular workflows would be able to take advantage of this workaround, but Team Drives are definitely supported in Google Drive.

We have an open feature request for adding Team Drive support in Google Docs and I have added both of you to it.

This workaround does not work because I need to find an existing document with "Find a Document In Google Docs". I notice the ones for Google Spreadsheets already support the Shared Drive (Team Drive), so I can’t imagine it’s too difficult.

What is the status on fixing this?

We are no longer able to use Zapier for its intended use.

@nicksimard can you add me to the watch list of the Team Drive feature? Thanks!