Question

Setting timezone on Google Calendar invite

• 17 January 2022
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

I’m having an issue setting the timezone on a Google Calendar invite. My Google account and Zapier account are both set to PST timezone. I want to pass through an invite with AET (Australia Eastern Time) as the timezone. Everytime I try it sets the invite to PST. I have tried Australia/Adelaide which I found on another thread but that didn’t work either.  I know I could use PST but the issue is that daylight saving dates are different between PST and AET and it would be a pain in the butt to figure out for the users going forward. Below is a screenshot of the data that is being picked up from a Google sheet. There are definitely spaces between. Am I missing something really obvious? Help!

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @Ciara M 

Try using this Zap action step to adjust the timezones: Formatter > Date / Time > Format

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi Troy

Thanks for looking at this. I’ve been playing with it all day and I’m afraid setting the UTC number of hours doesn’t quite work. The calendar entry is imported to Google Calendar with the time adjusted to your default calendar location. In my case the default timezone is PST. On import the time is adjusted from 7pm AET to 1am PST. For a recurring invitation this means if daylight savings falls somewhere during the recurring pattern, it only looks to daylight saving changing in PST and not in AET which is actually what I need. It would mean that the students think the class is an hour earlier when in fact the time for the student in AET should remain static. We offer courses all over the world so I can’t change the Google Calendar timezone. I really need to figure out if there is a way that I can set the actual time zone itself on the calendar invite as I sent to Google Calendar from Zapier. If I can make it look as per the screenshot below as this then automatically adjusts for the Australian students. I just can’t workout what value I need to send. Is there a way of pushing through the actual timezone? In the docs it says you can GMT but again that adjusts the time that is imported and doesn’t actually set the timezone. Any ideas?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Ciara M 

You may have to explore using the GCal API: https://developers.google.com/calendar/api

App APIs can be used in Zaps with the Webhooks app as an action step: https://zapier.com/apps/webhook/integrations