Best answer

Send photos from Smartsheet to Google Drive

• 16 November 2020
  • 18 replies

Userlevel 1

Does anyone know an easy way to get Smartsheet attachments (images) to automatically upload to a Google Drive folder?

icon

Best answer by GetUWired 17 November 2020, 22:01

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

18 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi Chanse,

That sounds like something Zapier is perfect for! Your flow would work as follows:

1. Trigger Step: New Attachment in Smartsheet 
  2. Action Step: Upload a file in Google Sheets

Let me know if you hit any roadblocks, I’d be glad to help you set it up a long the way!

Userlevel 1

I tried that but I ended up with a txt file that had the file name instead of the image file. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Can you share a screenshot(s) of your set up?

That is interesting. Is there a link to the download url returned? Google drive is also able to accept that and generate the file type. 

Userlevel 1

Here are some screen shots and the file in Google Drive can be found here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1C_rgufdsHnxPE-e-P7hdVnxBx7FsLbDJ/view?usp=sharing

Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Interesting.. SmartSheets doesn’t seem to return the url of the attachment when triggered. 

Do you have the automations function in SmartSheet? If so, I believe I can get you up and running with a good workaround. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Here’s the work around using the “Automation” Function from SmartSheet. This is advanced so feel free to ask questions. [advanced]

1. Set up a trigger for Email Parser by Zapier. It is a service you can get through Zapier. You will need to go through logging in with your Zapier account and creating a new mailbox. Once you create a mailbox, you will get the address to the parser mailbox. something like @robot.zapier.com. 

1. Set up an automation from within SmartSheet to send an alert to the mailbox parser you just created. You will also want to customize the message to include the attachment link. 
  2. Add a row with an attachment so that way it will fire off the email to your new mail parser. Then head back to your mail parser and wait for the email (might take about 5 minutes). 

1. The email will come in and you will need to configure the parser. It will look complicated but if you scroll down you should find something prefaced by 1 attachment added with a url mixed in. Highlight that url and give it a name. (You are telling the parser that when the email comes in, this is the field you want.)

3. Back in Zapier you can pull the data you retrieved from the parsed email (it will say Parse Output and then whatever you titled in in the email parser)

Hope that helps! 

Userlevel 1

Okay, I think I’m stuck on step 3. I think I found the url and named it, see attached screenshot, but back in Zapier I don’t get an option in the File filed for Parse Output, only Parse Payload. When I test it I still get the txt file in Drive. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

You might need to run one more test and reload more data from your parser. In the first one, you are setting up a template for the parser to always pull the same data, so it probably did only get the entire payload. Run one more test to ensure the parser is working and you will likely have the field Parse Output dailylogimages

Userlevel 1

Got it, I ran another test, the Parse Output now shows up and I’ve selected it but when I test the Zap, I get an error that the File is empty. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Did you delete the row/file before it had a chance to upload it? Or did you try the link manually in an incognito browser?

In your screenshot it doesn’t show the url being passed forward, still just the name and created at 

Userlevel 1

I did not delete either attachment from the test emails. I tested both in an incognito window and both download the attachment successfully. 

Here is the second:

https://app.smartsheet.com/b/download/att/1/7203224491976580/rf5pbe0330fmzsriwlnpyt7yko

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

The parser pulled the link successfully? Can you share a screenshot of your Google Drive Upload set up once more? 

The link you sent works well for me and I was able to hardcode it and successfully upload. 

Userlevel 1

Here you go.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

It doesn’t look like the url was pulled from your parser. Can you share screenshots from your template message as well as the received test message? That is where the issue is now. 

Userlevel 1

Here you go. There are some additional settings in the template that I didn’t edit, maybe I need to? I included a screenshot of those. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

I didn’t have to do much on my template. Sometimes it takes setting up additional templates, though it didn’t for me when I set it up.  have you tried turning it on and doing a live test, just to see? The configuration looks good.  or running 1 more test and pulling data from the parser?

Userlevel 1

Wow! I turned it on and it works! Thank you. Thank you. :grinning:

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@chanse That’s great news! Glad I could help!