Best answer

Salesforce - dealing with leads and contacts

• 18 March 2020
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 2

So I’m trying to run a zap to update contact information from a webinar app called LiveStorm. Here’s the problem I’m running into: it is possible that the person being added is already in Salesforce. And, to make matters more complicated, they could be either a Lead or a Contact.

Anybody else ever deal with this situation? I currently use email address to find the Lead in Salesforce and then create one if they don’t exist, but I don’t know what to do if the person exists in Salesforce but was converted to a Contact.

Any thoughts appreciated!

icon

Best answer by Danvers 20 March 2020, 18:43

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hmm, that’s a tricky one @droskill 🤔

The only way to handle this would be if you use Paths. You could add a step to search for Leads and a step to search for Contacts and then have 4 paths that the Zap would run depending on whether or not either search was successful (eg 1 path for neither found, 1 path for a Contact but not Lead found, etc).  Paths are only available on Professional Plans and higher, so I don’t know if that’s an option for you, but if it is that would be the cleanest way to handle this. 

If you can’t use paths, you could possibly set up some logic using multiple Zaps and filters, but it would be very fiddly.